Teen dies after playing video game for 40 hoursJuly 19th, 2012 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 19 (IANS) A teenager in Taiwan has been found dead in an internet cafe after reportedly playing a video game for 40 hours without a break.
The 18-year-old lad is believed to have collapsed during a marathon session of Diablo 3, an action role-playing video game which features elements of the hack and slash, and dungeon crawl genres. He was found by workers in the internet cafe in Tainan city, The Sun reported.
On July 15, an attendant entered the room in the morning and found Chuang resting on a table. After the attendant woke him, he stood up, took a few steps and then collapsed, reports said. He was declared dead shortly after being taken to a local hospital.
It is believed the boy had not eaten for two days and has so far only been identified by his surname Chuang.
Police were investigating the incident.
It has been speculated that sitting for long hours in a sedentary position created cardiovascular problems for Chuang, the daily reported.
The teen had been playing the latest instalment of the role-playing game.
Earlier, in February, a man in New Taipei city was found dead, slumped in a chair facing a computer with his arms still reaching out for the keyboard after playing for 23 hours. The cause of death was reported as cardiac arrest.
- Top seed Zhang Jike advances to table tennis final - Aug 02, 2012
- Man collapses attempting Scrabble world record - Apr 16, 2012
- Termites eat through 32,000 pounds in cash - Jun 28, 2012
- Parental neglect turning children into couch potatoes - Jun 24, 2012
- Chinese dungeon rapist sentenced to death - Feb 01, 2011
- Snacking at your keyboard makes you eat more - Dec 17, 2010
- Taiwan executes five convicted murderers - Mar 05, 2011
- Julianne Hough's dress at the Grammy Awards 2012 is a hit - Feb 13, 2012
- Man steals church computer after asking to be baptised - Jun 17, 2010
- Man sentenced to death for raping nine in China - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' sets new five day sales record with over $650 million - Nov 19, 2010
- China seeks parental control over kids' online gaming - Feb 01, 2011
- Too much TV 'will put kids' heart at risk' - Apr 21, 2011
- Dungeons And Dragons Banned From Prison For 'Imitating Gang Structure' - Jan 28, 2011
- Video games spur creativity among kids - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: cardiac arrest, cardiovascular problems, cause of death, diablo 3, dungeon crawl, elements, genres, hack, instalment, internet cafe, keyboard, lad, local hospital, marathon session, role playing game, role playing video game, surname, taipei city, taiwan, teenager