Team finds gold aboard ship that sank off ArgentinaJune 25th, 2009 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 24 (EFE) A research vessel has said that the cargo of 9.5 tonnes of gold and silver being carried by a refitted Chilean fishing boat remains in the hold five months after it sank in the Atlantic off southern Argentina.
The find put an end to suspicions that the cargo, valued at $19 million, had been stolen shortly before the mysterious sinking of the fishing boat Polar Mist at the mouth of the Strait of Magellan, some 40 km from the Argentine coast.
A remote-control submersible with video cameras determined that the Polar Mist is resting on the ocean floor in 80 meters (260 feet) of water without any significant damage and with its cargo intact, sources linked to the salvage operation told the dailies Clarin and La Nacion.
They said that a week ago the salvage vessel C-Sailor was operating in the area of the shipwreck and now it is preparing an operation to recover the cargo, which belongs to several mining companies.
The Polar Mist is “lying on its belly” on the ocean floor, with all its compartments closed and only light damage attributable to the impact it suffered when it hit bottom, the sources said.
The Chilean fishing boat, which had been refitted to carry cargo, sank under unexplained circumstances Jan 18 after a storm at the mouth of the Strait of Magellan.
Eight Chilean crew-members of the Polar Mist were rescued by an Argentine navy helicopter and taken to Rio Gallegos.
- Hi-tech robots search for ancient shipwrecks lying on ocean floor - Nov 21, 2010
- 50 tonnes of silver recovered from sea - Jul 20, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia joins NATO in submarine rescue drills - May 31, 2011
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- Treasure hunters eye underwater cultural heritage in Mexico - Feb 03, 2011
- US Coast Guard fires to sink Japanese tsunami ship - Apr 06, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Japan's tsunami debris all set to reach the US coast - Apr 11, 2011
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- Wreckage of 16th century ship discovered off Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Italians pay Rs.1.7mn in damages, boat owner drops case - Apr 27, 2012
- Mumbai oil spill decreasing, say officials (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Wreckage of sunken 'gold ship' located - Jun 20, 2009
- Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreck - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: argentina buenos aires, argentine navy, clarin, crew members, dailies, fishing boat, five months, gold and silver, la nacion, mining companies, navy helicopter, ocean floor, polar mist, research vessel, rio gallegos, shipwreck, southern argentina, strait of magellan, unexplained circumstances, video cameras