TB-HIV co-infection crisis twice as big as previously thought: WHOMarch 25th, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 25 (ANI): In recognition of World TB Day, the World Health Organization (WHO) has released new figures to show that co-infection of TB among HIV patients is nearly twice as big as previously thought.
In 2007, there were at least 1.37 million cases of HIV-positive TB or nearly 15 percent of the total incident cases. That figure doubles that of the previous estimates, WHO said.
“A global health catastrophe is unfolding,” said Gerald Friedland, a professor of Medicine, Epidemiology and Public Health at Yale University School of Medicine and a leading expert on the emerging threat.
In addition, the WHO data shows that drug-resistant TB is on the rise.
There were more than 500,000 cases of MDR-TB in 2007, the WHO reported. And by the end of 2008, at least 55 countries and territories had identified at least one case of extensively drug-resistant TB.
HIV-positive patients are highly vulnerable to TB, because of their weakened immune systems, and tuberculosis is now the No. 1 killer of people with HIV.
These twin epidemics present a stark new global health threat and raise the prospect of a global pandemic of extensively-drug-resistant TB, which is extremely difficult to treat. (ANI)
- Berlin 2010: TB, HIV and Lung Health: From research and innovation to solutions - Nov 02, 2010
- 'Time to scale up work on TB control' - Jan 24, 2012
- China reports 900,000 TB cases in 2011 - Mar 21, 2012
- Central team to probe drug resistant TB cases in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2012
- India, China account for 45 percent multi-drug resistant TB - Aug 27, 2010
- WHO calls for dealing with multi-drug resistant microbes - Apr 07, 2011
- One-third of tuberculosis (TB) cases go undetected: WHO - Mar 27, 2009
- Awareness programmes mark World Tuberculosis Day in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- Cabinet approves scaling up services of management of drug resistant tuberculosis - Mar 03, 2011
- Standard re-treatment regimen for TB 'failing' in developing world - Mar 16, 2011
- No drug-resistant TB case in India: Expert team - Jan 20, 2012
- 90-minute TB test not a game changer for India - Aug 29, 2011
- 36 mln people with TB cured, eight mln lives saved since 1995 - Dec 09, 2009
- TB causing half million annual deaths in South-East Asia: WHO - Mar 22, 2012
- People with drug-resistant tuberculosis are neglected by governments - Apr 01, 2009
Tags: cases of hiv, catastrophe, drug resistant tb, epidemiology, estimates, gerald friedland, global health, global pandemic, health threat, hiv, hiv patients, incident cases, public health, school of medicine, tuberculosis, weakened immune systems, world health organization, world tb, yale university school, yale university school of medicine