Taking folic acid supplements may help reduce premature birth riskMay 12th, 2009 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 12 (ANI): A new study has suggested that taking folic acid supplements for at least a year before conception may help reduce the risk of premature birth.
Babies born prematurely are less likely to survive than full-term babies and are more likely to have breathing difficulties and learning or developmental disabilities.
Currently, there are no effective methods of prevention or treatment of premature (preterm) birth, but previous studies have suggested that lower concentrations of folate (folic acid) are associated with shorter duration of pregnancy.
Radek Bukowski from the University of Texas Medical Branch, United States of America and colleagues therefore tested this idea, by analyzing data collected from a cohort of nearly 35,000 pregnant women.
They found that taking folate supplements for at least one year before conception was associated with a 70 percent reduction in spontaneous premature birth between 20 and 28 weeks, and a 50 percent reduction between 28 and 32 weeks, as compared to the rate of preterm birth when mothers did not take additional folate supplementation.
Folate supplementation for less than a year before conception was not linked to a reduction in the risk of premature birth in this study, and folate supplementation was not associated with any other complications of pregnancy.
The study is published in this week’s PLoS Medicine. (ANI)
- High intakes of folic acid may be linked to cancer - Dec 14, 2010
- Folic acid supplements contribute to breast cancer risk: Study - Feb 12, 2011
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Folic acid protects offsprings from colon cancer - May 27, 2011
- Late-preterm babies 'at greater risk for cognitive, emotional problems' - Nov 23, 2010
- Rise in temperature can lead to stillbirths - Dec 16, 2011
- Women living near roads more likely to have premature birth - Dec 03, 2010
- Folate could prevent alcohol-induced congenital heart defects in mice - May 25, 2010
- Higher levels of folate in RBCs linked to silenced tumor-suppressors - Dec 23, 2010
- Supplements can raise asthma risk - Nov 05, 2009
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- New blood test will warn of premature births - Sep 06, 2011
- Prepregnancy, obesity, gestational weight gain influence preterm birth risk - Feb 11, 2010
- Intake of folic acid supplements in late pregnancy could cause asthma in kids - Nov 04, 2009
- Simple blood test can now predict premature birth risk - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: analyzing data, breathing difficulties, bukowski, cohort, complications of pregnancy, developmental disabilities, duration of pregnancy, folate supplementation, folate supplements, folic acid supplements, plos medicine, pregnant women, premature birth babies, preterm birth, states of america, term babies, texas medical branch, united states of america, university of texas, university of texas medical branch