T. rex hunted like a lion, did not scavenge like a hyenaJanuary 26th, 2011 - 11:34 am ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 26 (ANI): A new study has revealed that Tyrannosaurus Rex wasn’t a scavenger like a hyena; rather it hunted like a lion.
Scientists from the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) used an ecological model based on predator relationships in the Serengeti to find out if scavenging would have been an effective feeding strategy for the dinosaur.
“By understanding the ecological forces at work, we have been able to show that scavenging was not a viable option for T.rex as it was out-competed by smaller, more abundant predatory dinosaurs,” said Dr Chris Carbone.
“These smaller species would have discovered carcasses more quickly, making the most of ‘first-come-first-served’ opportunities.”
The study concluded that an individual T.rex would have roamed over large distances to catch its prey.
The research helps experts understand the behaviour of T.rex as a hunter.
The research is published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B. (ANI)
- T.rex was 'more hyena than lion' - Feb 23, 2011
- Tyrannosaurus Rex Revealed To Be Cannibals - Oct 18, 2010
- T-Rex was wily, not fearsome predator - Feb 23, 2011
- T-Rex's gigantic cousin located in China - Apr 01, 2011
- Research exposes dinos as chicken-hearted baby-killers - Aug 07, 2009
- T Rex was able to outpace any prey due to its strong tail: Study - Nov 17, 2010
- T-rex was a cowardly bully who picked on runts - Aug 25, 2009
- T-Rex's cousin's remains discovered in Edmonton sewers - Aug 24, 2010
- T. rex's powerful long tail was its key to speed and hunting prowess - Nov 16, 2010
- Scientist unravels secret of T.rex's fearsome snarl - Mar 19, 2012
- Dinosaurs just got bigger and scarier than thought - Oct 01, 2010
- Tigers, polar bears 'more vulnerable to environmental change' - Nov 24, 2010
- T.Rex was a ruthless 'baby killer' - Aug 05, 2009
- Meet quaint hunchback dino from 130 mn years ago - Sep 10, 2010
- Tyrannousaur dinosaurs stalked southern hemisphere! - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,