Swine flu jab under scrutiny over dangerous sleep disorder fearsAugust 28th, 2010 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 28 (ANI): A swine flu vaccine given to millions of Britons is undergoing investigations over fear it causes a rare and dangerous sleep disorder.
Pandemrix made by pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline is being tested by the European Medicines Agency after a number of cases of narcolepsy were reported, reports the Daily Express.
Pandemrix was used in the UK when the H1N1 pandemic broke out last year.
The cases of narcolepsy, in which a person to fall asleep suddenly and unexpectedly, have been reported largely in Sweden and Finland.
However, no such cases have been reported in Britain.
After reviewing the data, GlaxoSmithKline said: “The currently available information is insufficient to assess the likelihood of a causal relationship between Pandemrix and narcolepsy.” (ANI)
- Sudden sleep syndrome may hit kids after swine flu jab - Apr 24, 2011
- Swine flu shot may hasten sleeping disorder - Mar 29, 2012
- Kids given swine flu vaccine 'have an increased risk of sleep disorder' - Feb 02, 2011
- Pharma firms to conduct H1N1 vaccine human trials in India - Dec 08, 2009
- Pregnant women with swine flu 10 times more likely to need intensive care - Nov 03, 2009
- British drug makers, opportunists cash-in on Swine Flu hysteria - Jul 26, 2009
- EU critics say WHO of exaggerating H1N1 threat - Jun 05, 2010
- Swine flu jab linked to rare nerve disease - Oct 18, 2010
- Swine flu vaccine made by killing sharks - Dec 30, 2009
- Dubai health authority launches anti-smoking hotline - Jun 14, 2012
- Mexico receives first of swine flu vaccine doses - Nov 24, 2009
- Britain gives last year's vaccines to flu hit people - Jan 07, 2011
- Swine flu 'a false pandemic'? - Jan 12, 2010
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Swine flu vaccine shortage in Delhi - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: causal relationship, daily express, european medicines, fear, finland, flu, flu jab, glaxosmithkline, h1n1, investigations, likelihood, medicines agency, millions of britons, narcolepsy, pandemic, scrutiny, sleep, sleep disorder, sweden, swine flu vaccine