Surgeons announce worlds first successful transvaginal nephrectomy using intra-umbilical Tri-portMarch 14th, 2009 - 10:58 am ICT by ANI
Washington, March 14 (ANI): Doctors at Instituto Medico La Floresta in Caracas, Venezuela, have successfully performed the worlds first live human transvaginal nephrectomy using the Tri-port multi-channel port supplied by Advanced Surgical Concepts Ltd.
Dr. Rene Sotelo, the leader of the team of surgeons who carried out the operation, has revealed that the majority of the intra-operative endoscopic visualization and tissue mobilization for the natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) nephrectomy was performed transvaginally, with observation and occasional assistance from an intra-umbilical Tri-port.
According to him, no extra-umbilical incisions were needed.
The patient on whom the operation was performed was a 65 year-old woman with a 6 cm left kidney tumour, and a prior history of hysterectomy.
Sotelo revealed that it took 220 minutes for the surgery to complete, and that patient thereafter had to stay in the hospital for two days.
He said that the patient did not experience any complications, and was discharged with no visible abdominal scar.
Sotelo says: “The procedure went well and has great potential for the future.” (ANI)
- Organ removal through body orifices 'minimally invasive approach to surgery' - Mar 11, 2011
- Woman's gallbladder removed through her vagina - Oct 07, 2010
- Surgeons pull out healthy kidney through donor's vagina - Feb 03, 2009
- US surgeons perform minimally invasive kidney removal via vagina for transplantation - Feb 03, 2009
- First weight loss surgery where excess stomach was removed via mouth - Aug 10, 2010
- New surgical technique holds promise for scarless operations - Jun 03, 2009
- Hysterectomies should be performed 'vaginally or laparoscopically' - Nov 08, 2010
- Surgeons perform first scarless myotomy surgery in US - Feb 27, 2010
- Now, a robotic way to hassle-free surgeries - May 21, 2012
- Now, minimally invasive method to remove gallbladder through vagina - Feb 26, 2009
- Raigad woman delivers baby boy, despite huge tumours - Jul 12, 2012
- Now, 'scarless' thyroid surgery - Nov 25, 2009
- Rare surgery performed in Abu Dhabi hospital - Sep 06, 2011
- Surgeon pioneers gallbladder removal through belly button - Dec 30, 2011
- Minimally invasive procedure 'helpful to reanimate facial paralysis' - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: caracas venezuela, doctors, endoscopic, great potential, hysterectomy, incisions, instituto medico, kidney tumour, la floresta, left kidney, mobilization, natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery, observation, occasional assistance, old woman, scar, transvaginal, visualization