Sulabh promises to help widows of BrindavanAugust 12th, 2012 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Brindavan (Uttar Pradesh), Aug 12 (IANS) Sulabh International has pledged to give a life a dignity to the 1,700 odd widows of Brindavan who spend their sunset years in pain.
Responding to the shock expressed by the Supreme Court over the inhuman disposal of the bodies of widows, Sulabh founder Bindeshwar Pathak announced steps to provide them a dignified life.
The apex court has taken a strong exception to the manner in which the bodies of some widows were disposed of — by chopping them into pieces and stuffing them into gunny bags — on grounds of resource crunch.
The court directed the Uttar Pradesh government to ensure that decent last rites were performed.
“We will take care of every need of the widows and orphans who roam the lanes of Brindavan and beg for food. Sulabh will provide food, clothing, proper healthcare and hygiene,” Pathak said.
Sulabh will also impart training and provide employment to able-bodied widows, he said.
- Sulabh disburses monthly aid to Vrindavan widows - Aug 22, 2012
- 'Sulabh toilet model can be adopted worldwide' - Jun 03, 2012
- Sulabh to launch sanitation project in Uganda - Jan 16, 2012
- Sulabh to launch toilets with health centres in Delhi - Jan 16, 2012
- Over 200 women fly to Varanasi to fight untouchability - Jun 19, 2011
- Runaway bride awarded for revolting against lack of loo - Feb 10, 2012
- Supreme Court comes to rescue of Vrindavan widows - Aug 03, 2012
- Rajasthan's Dalit women celebrate 'liberty' at temple - Jun 20, 2011
- 'Sulabh toilets can help reduce global warming' - May 27, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh ignoring Vrindavan widows: SC - Jul 30, 2012
- India's Sulabh gets top UN consultative status - Nov 03, 2011
- Focus on scavengers' rehabilitation, government urged - Oct 24, 2010
- US engineers' body lauds low-cost Indian toilet technology - May 18, 2010
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- Centre arranging gunny bags for Madhya Pradesh - May 10, 2012