Study reveals that despite ban on Cell phone usage while driving accident rates still highJuly 8th, 2011 - 8:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York City, July 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study has rubbished the long-held assertion that using hands-free phone while driving reduces the risk of having an accident when compared with using hand-held phones. The study was conducted by the Governors Highway Safety Association with funds provided by the State Farm Insurance.
Texting while driving has been banned but the researchers say the ban has done very little to reduce the incidence of accident. In all 41 states have fully or partially banned mobile phone use while driving. However the researchers say the ban at the various states should not be lifted but they recommend that states which has no similar laws should not enact them because they will not impact on the rate of road accidents in any significant way.
The researchers realized that the use of cell phone while driving is very common. Two-thirds of the respondents who took part in the survey admitted using the cell phone while driving. A third of those respondents said they regularly used their cell phone while behind the wheels.
The researchers say in a bid to reduce the rate of accident caused by distractions, measures like rumble strips and automotive technological innovations should be used.
- Australia to call blanket ban on all mobile phone in vehicles - Feb 07, 2011
- Mobile phone ban while driving has more impact in dense regions - Feb 10, 2010
- Using hands-free phones while driving 'as distracting as hand-held' - Nov 09, 2009
- Study: Texts, talk, apps kill 16,000 people in 7 years - Sep 24, 2010
- Hands-free technology for twiteratti while driving - Jul 26, 2010
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- 10pct Brit drivers chat over the Internet while behind the wheel - Apr 09, 2009
- Mobile phone use while driving banned in New Zealand - Sep 03, 2009
- Texting ban has not lowered US accident rate - Sep 29, 2010
- Cell phones can reduce fertility by 30 percent: Survey - Jun 20, 2011
- Now, tweet hands-free while driving! - Jul 24, 2010
- Anticipating SMSes, calls too contribute to car crashes - Apr 30, 2012
- Hands-free mobile phones no safer than handheld ones while driving - Jul 22, 2009
- 97% Americans want texting-while-driving to be banned - Oct 28, 2009
- Texting kills 5,000 people every year in the US - May 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,