Stricter laws to enforce ban on smoking in publicMarch 12th, 2008 - 7:05 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) India is framing stricter laws that will put a stop to smoking in public places, especially at work places. Informing the Lok Sabha Wednesday, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Panabaka Lakshmi said smoking in a public place is already prohibited under section 4 of the Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003.
She said the definition of a public place covers offices, libraries, restaurants, educational institutions, court building and railways waiting rooms.
But she added that the government is in the process of framing legal provisions to further improve its implementation and ensure that there is no smoking in public places, including work places.
According to a recent study, conducted by experts from India, Canada and Britain, smoking would kill nearly one million people every year in the next decade.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) supported the report, which said that nearly 70 percent of these one million deaths would be in the age group of 30-69.
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Hookah bars violating anti-smoke rules: NGO - Oct 01, 2011
- Notice to government on smoking scenes in films (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Delhi fines 21,600 public smokers in 15 months - Apr 30, 2011
- Argentine capital Buenos Aires becomes smoke-free - Jan 07, 2012
- Delhi civic body tightens anti-tobacco measures - Jul 15, 2011
- We Need A Lifetime Of No Tobacco, And Not Merely A Day - May 28, 2010
- World Environment Day (WED 2010): Smoke-free environment is a right - Jun 05, 2010
- Tobacco major cause of cancer deaths: Study - Apr 02, 2012
- Ukraine introduces ban on public smoking - May 25, 2012
- Health ministry plans plain packaging of tobacco products - Jul 23, 2012
- Maharashtra among top tobacco consumers in India - Jun 15, 2012
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Himachal directed to ban smoking at public places - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: age group, cigarette, deaths, distribution act, educational institutions, family welfare, legal provisions, Lok Sabha, minister of state, New Delhi, next decade, no smoking in public places, one million, prohibition, railways, smoking in public, smoking in public places, tobacco products, waiting rooms, world health organisation