Straight off the stove ‘Kitchen Counter’ diet cuts down eating by a thirdApril 27th, 2010 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 27 (ANI): Eating less can be as simple as leaving serving dishes on the stove and off the table, suggest researchers.
At Experimental Biology conference in Anaheim, Calif., researchers led by Brian Wansink, director of the Cornell Food and Brand Lab, shared findings of their “Serve Here; Eat There” study of 78 adults.
“We looked at whether serving foods from the kitchen counter, instead of at the table, would reduce the number of times a person refilled his or her plate,” Wansink said.
“Quite simply, it is a case of ‘out of sight, out of mind,’” he continued. “When we kept the serving dishes off the table, people ate 20 percent fewer calories. Men ate close to 29 percent less.”
The same strategy can be used to help increase the consumption of healthier foods, Wansink explained.
“If fruits and vegetables are kept in plain sight, we’ll be much more likely to choose them, rather than a piece of cake hidden in the refrigerator.”
Dining environment, plate and portion size, and other hidden cues that determine what, when and how much we eat are familiar topics in Wansink’s work. (ANI)
- Keep food out of sight to eat less - Apr 27, 2010
- Change your environment to achieve dieting success - May 01, 2010
- Smaller plates, bowls key to weight loss - Aug 07, 2011
- Organic labels on snacks lead to overeating - Apr 29, 2010
- Do organic labels on snacks tempt you to overeat? - Apr 30, 2010
- Invoking Batman name promotes healthy eating - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Changing plate's colour helps you shed weight' - Jun 17, 2012
- Colourful plate boosts finicky eater's appetite - Jan 06, 2012
- Thinking about workout makes you eat more - Jan 16, 2011
- Dining with friends can make you fat - Sep 03, 2012
- A Chennai restaurant's unique Saturday night dinner - May 25, 2012
- Images of high-calorie food create craving - Jun 26, 2012
- 70-day diet of 'biscuits, cakes, fat-laden junk food' to help you lose weight! - Dec 29, 2010
- 'Kitchens becoming style statement in South Asian homes' - May 14, 2012
- Bigger bites ensure lesser eating - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,