Stipend to increase, junior doctors resume work in KolkataAugust 7th, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 7 (IANS) Junior doctors of two state-run hospitals here withdrew their indefinite strike and resumed work Thursday morning after getting an assurance from the state’s health and finance department of a stipend hike from Sep 1. “The finance and health departments have assured the junior doctors Wednesday evening that there will be an increase of about 65 percent in their stipend,” state Finance Minister Asim Dasgupta told reporters here.
Over 800 junior doctors of SSKM Hospital and Medical College and Hospital went on strike Monday demanding a rise in their stipend. As a result medical services in the OPDs, emergency and general wards were crippled for the last three days and patients had to return home unattended.
“We know how much the patients have suffered because of the strike. But we too were helpless and were fighting for our rights. We hope we won’t have to take similar steps in future,” Sayani Pal, a junior doctor at SSKM, told IANS.
The junior doctors started attending emergency wards late Wednesday night and resumed normal services Thursday morning.
- Junior doctors' strike continues in Andhra - Feb 12, 2012
- Eight die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals - Feb 11, 2012
- 10 die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Lahore doctors' strike continues - Jun 23, 2012
- Women delivers baby near lift in Noida hospital - Nov 17, 2011
- Junior doctors end 14-day strike in Bihar - Jun 28, 2012
- Junior doctors call off strike in Andhra - Feb 15, 2012
- Bihar junior doctors' strike claims over two dozen lives - Feb 02, 2011
- Mamata makes surprise visit to SSKM hospital - May 25, 2011
- Junior doctors call off strike in Kolkata - Sep 28, 2010
- Tension brews over smoke at city hospital - Mar 21, 2012
- Patients suffer as Jammu medical college employees intensify strike - Mar 12, 2010
- Patients suffer as medical staff go on strike in Ranchi govt. hospitals - Aug 20, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh's junior doctors call off strike - Nov 20, 2011
- Patients suffer as doctors of four Kolkata hospitals on strike - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: asim, dasgupta, emergency wards, finance department, finance minister, health departments, hospitals, indefinite strike, junior doctor, junior doctors, kolkata, medical college, medical services, sskm, state finance, thursday morning, wednesday evening, wednesday night