Steroids and the dangers of Anabolic SystemJuly 16th, 2008 - 9:02 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
“Steroids” is also classified as an anabolic and corticosteroids. Corticosteroids, are drugs that doctors prescribe to help control inflammation in the body. They are used to help control conditions like asthma. Unlike anabolic steroids that receive so much media attention for their use by some athletes and bodybuilders.
Anabolic steroids are hormones which boosts the body’s ability to produce muscle and prevent a muscle breakdown. Some athletes take steroids to improve their ability to run faster, lift heavier weights, and jump higher. In the United States, it is against the law to use anabolic steroids without a prescription.
Androstenedione /”andro,” is a kind of anabolic steroid taken by athletes who want to build muscle. This kind of drug can lead to certain health problems.
Dangers of Anabolic Steroids
Steroids are dangerous for two reasons: they are illegal, and they can damage a person’s health, especially if consumed in large doses. The health problem won’t appear but will come up after a certain period of time.
Though the drug might help build muscles but steroids can also produce a very serious side effects. Using steroids for a long time can negatively affect the reproductive system.
Steroids taken for an extended period of time also can cause:
* stunted growth in teens (by causing bones to mature too fast and stop growing at an early age)
* liver tumors
* abnormal enlargement of the heart muscles
* violent, aggressive behavior and mood swings
* blood lipid abnormalities that contribute to heart disease
* acne (or a worsening of acne)
* irreversible stretch marks
* a heightened tendency for hair loss and male-pattern baldness
* muscle aches
These warning signs of steroids:
* exaggerated mood swings
* worsening acne
* unusually greasy skin with stretch marks
* a sudden increase in muscle size
- Karachi bodybuilders taking cow, buffalo-steroids for 'extra muscles' - Jun 30, 2010
- Steroids can kill: Dark side of body building (Health Feature) - Jul 13, 2012
- Using steroids for pumped up body? Think twice - Jan 13, 2012
- Using steroids for bodybuilding can damage kidney function - Oct 30, 2009
- Now, alternate therapy for adults with poorly controlled asthma - Sep 20, 2010
- Punjab swoops down, cancels chemists' licences after dope taint (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Steroid intake putting body conscious Oz teens at health risk - Sep 20, 2009
- Mustard compound key to becoming lean, muscular - Oct 04, 2011
- Illicit use of human growth hormone on the rise among male weightlifters - Jan 21, 2011
- Steroid use may increase heart failure risk - Apr 28, 2010
- Help at hand for men with enlarged breasts - Feb 04, 2011
- Pimples? Go for garlic juice or chemical peels - May 18, 2011
- Health Warning issued for certain Asthma Drugs - Feb 20, 2010
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- Crackdown on chemist shops near NIS, Patiala - Jul 06, 2011