Statins may reduce septic lung damageMay 3rd, 2011 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 3 (ANI): New research suggests that treatment with the cholesterol drug simvastatin significantly reduces lung damage resulting from severe abdominal sepsis and infection.
“We hope that this study will not only provide new knowledge about the complicated pathophysiology behind abdominal sepsis, but also form the basis for more effective and specific treatment options for patients with severe infections,” said Henrik Thorlacius, a researcher involved in the workfrom the Department of Surgery at Skane University Hospital at Lund University, Malmo, Sweden.
To make this discovery, the researchers studied mice with a punctured intestinal bowel and treated half with a statin drug, simvastatin, and the others with only water.
The animals treated with simvastatin had much less lung injury than those only given water. Additionally, the simvastatin-treated group demonstrated significantly fewer inflammatory cells in the lung, as well as reduced levels of pro-inflammatory substances.
The study was recently published in the Journal of Leukocyte Biology. (ANI)
- Mechanism discovered to help treat inflammation - Sep 03, 2012
- Cholesterol-lowering statins 'kill bacteria' - Nov 18, 2010
- Discovery could prevent deaths from severe flu outbreaks - Mar 01, 2012
- Sepsis killing more people than AIDS: Experts (Sep 13 is World Sepsis Day) - Sep 12, 2012
- Cancer drug may help treat arthritis, multiple sclerosis - Jul 01, 2010
- How reovirus kills cancer cells - Feb 21, 2011
- New signaling pathway linked to inflammatory disease discovered - Dec 15, 2010
- New drug target for inflammatory bowel disease found - Apr 01, 2011
- Statins reduce pneumonia death rates: Study - Apr 05, 2011
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs may improve blood flow after stroke - Apr 27, 2011
- Eat candies to ward off rare, but deadly infections - Jan 05, 2010
- Fat hormone linked to death from sepsis identified - Oct 24, 2009
- Statins could cut mortality rate for flu patients - Dec 18, 2011
- Statin may help fight HIV - Feb 17, 2011
- Lack of exercise increases heart risk among kids - May 13, 2011
Tags: animals, cholesterol, cholesterol drug, discovery, inflammatory cells, journal of leukocyte biology, lund university, lung damage, lung injury, malmo sweden, mice, pathophysiology, researcher, sepsis, simvastatin, skane, statin drug, treatment options