Statins ‘fight cataracts too’February 10th, 2010 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 10 (ANI): Statins, a class of drugs used to lower cholesterol levels, have been found to cut the risks of cataracts in both men and women, say researchers.
“Doctors have known for some time that there is some sort of preventative effect that statins have against cataracts,” says Dr. Gabriel Chodick of the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine at the Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel Aviv University, who led the study. “It seems that they protect the eye from inflammation and ocular nerve cells from a process of oxidization. But ours is the first study to show such a strong association in such a large population.”
The study, which involved over 180,000 patients between the years of 1998 and 2007, was published in the February 2010 issue of the Annals of Epidemiology.
In the study, Dr. Chodick and his colleague Dr. Varda Shalev found that men aged 45 to 54 who took the statins daily to lower their cholesterol levels also lowered their chances of developing cataracts by 38 percent For women of about the same age, the risk for cataracts was also cut dramatically, by about 18percent.
A cataract is a type of clouding that develops in the lens of the eye, leading to varying degrees of sight impairment. It typically progresses slowly so that the sufferer may not even be aware of the problem. If left untreated, a cataract can lead to blindness. (ANI)
- Cholesterol fighting drug slashes cataract risk in men - Feb 10, 2010
- Diabetes doubles cancer risk in women - Jun 12, 2010
- Diabetes 'raises cancer risk in women' - Jun 11, 2010
- Women who fail gestational diabetes test at risk of adult-onset diabetes - Jul 08, 2010
- Statins reduce pneumonia death rates: Study - Apr 05, 2011
- Cholesterol drugs lessen arthritis risk, finds study - Sep 08, 2010
- Continuing statins therapy does reduce death risk for high cholesterol patients - Feb 10, 2009
- Cholesterol busting drugs might be bad for you - Dec 21, 2010
- Patients with high cholesterol' 'not getting the treatment they need' - Feb 02, 2011
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- A jab could lower cholesterol by two-thirds - Nov 15, 2011
- Statins do not cause cancer: Study - Sep 01, 2010
- Higher statin doses may not prevent coronary artery disease - Jan 19, 2010
- Statins can cut prostate cancer risk - Oct 02, 2011
- Cholesterol levels in young adults predict future heart disease risk - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: annals of epidemiology, blindness, cataract, cataracts, cholesterol, cholesterol levels, colleague, faculty of medicine, inflammation, lower cholesterol, men and women, nerve cells, oxidization, preventive medicine, sackler faculty, sight impairment, strong association, sufferer, tel aviv university, varda