Starving sisters rescued in Delhi to get financial helpJune 23rd, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikhsit here Saturday announced financial aid of Rs.1 lakh each for the starving sisters rescued from their north Delhi apartment last week, a Delhi government statement said.
“The Delhi chief minister has announced one-time financial assistance of Rs.1 lakh and a monthly pension of Rs.1,000 each for the two sisters rescued after six years of isolation from their flat at Rohini,” the statement said.
Rescued by a team of Centralised Accident and Trauma Services (CATS) June 16, Mamta (40) and Neerja (29) were found in tattered clothing and with dishevelled hair, wounds all over their body.
The sisters, who lived with their mother and Mamta’s teenaged son, were not fed properly for months together as they battled financial and emotional crisis after their father passed away 10 years back.
“Their 70-year-old mother, a widow, will also be getting a pension amounting to Rs.1,000 per month. Further, the family has been provided one-time assistance of Rs.10,000 to meet urgent needs,” it added.
Considering the gravity of the case, the Delhi government has offered a helping hand to the family on “extreme compassionate grounds”. The sisters are recovering at Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital.
- Delhi's starved sisters remained locked up for 6 years (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Starving sisters locked for months, rescued in Delhi - Jun 16, 2012
- 'Chain snatching, father's death shocked starved sisters' - Jun 17, 2012
- Delhi increases senior citizens' pension - Oct 17, 2011
- Financial benefits for labourers in Delhi hiked - Feb 07, 2012
- Maid burgles elderly doctor's house - Nov 15, 2011
- Chandy's sops for unwed tribal mothers - land and pension - May 25, 2011
- Tripura announces pension, housing schemes for journalists - May 22, 2012
- Share retirement funds with estranged wife, court tells man - Oct 29, 2011
- Rs.2.94 crore donated to Team Anna since April - Nov 01, 2011
- Pension age for poor lowered, more pension for those over 80 - Jun 09, 2011
- UP pension for BPL families - May 23, 2012
- Bhopal gas tragedy widows to get Rs.1,000 pension - Mar 31, 2011
- Delhi hikes freedom fighters' pension - Aug 02, 2010
- Rs.1,200 crore scholarship plan for Kashmir approved - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: chief minister, compassionate grounds, delhi government, emotional crisis, financial assistance, financial help, government statement, helping hand, june 23, mamta, neerja, New Delhi, north delhi, old mother, rs 1, saheb, sheila, time assistance, trauma services, two sisters