Starving sisters locked for months, rescued in DelhiJune 16th, 2012 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) Locked up inside their home and unfed for months together, two sisters were rescued from their north Delhi apartment Saturday, police officials said.
Found in tattered clothes and with dishevelled hair, the sisters had wounds all over their body.
“Mamata (40) and Neerja (29) had locked themselves inside their home for many months. The family was facing a financial crisis and they were found severely malnourished,” a police official said.
“Their brother approached neighbours and an NGO rescued them from their home in Rohini’s sector 8,” the official added.
The sisters lived with their mother Nirmala, 70, and Mamata’s 15-year-old son.
The sisters have been taken to the nearby Delhi’s government’s Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital where doctors say they are “grossly malnourished”.
“They are not critical, but grossly malnourished. They are so weak that it is impossible to measure their blood pressure,” Kaustav Kiran, chief medical officer at Ambedkar Hospital, told IANS.
In a strikingly similar case in April 2011, two sisters in their forties, were rescued from their Noida home where they had locked themselves in for months after their father’s death and were found starving.
- Delhi's starved sisters remained locked up for 6 years (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Starving sisters rescued in Delhi to get financial help - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Chain snatching, father's death shocked starved sisters' - Jun 17, 2012
- Two Patna siblings rescued from 2-year lock-in - May 17, 2011
- NCW orders inquiry into Noida sisters case - Apr 13, 2011
- Woman, locked up by mother for 7 years, rescued - Jun 14, 2011
- Older of rescued Noida sisters dies, younger deteriorates (Third Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Older of rescued Noida sisters dies, enquiry ordered (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Rescued Noida woman dies in hospital - Apr 13, 2011
- Class 10 girl commits suicide in Delhi - Jun 15, 2012
- Abandoned HIV positive woman finds succour in Delhi shelter (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Noida sisters had no financial problems: Police - Apr 14, 2011
- Two children injured in celebratory firing - May 07, 2011
- Former bus driver arrested for robbery - Jan 21, 2011
- Two elderly women stabbed to death by robbers in Delhi - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: apartment, baba saheb ambedkar, blood pressure, brother, doctors, financial crisis, forties, medical officer, neerja, neighbours, New Delhi, ngo, north delhi, police official, police officials, tattered clothes, two sisters, wounds