Sri Rama Sene not banned in Goa: officialApril 3rd, 2009 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 3 (IANS) The Goa home minister’s claim of banning the Hindu rightwing outfit Sri Rama Sene from the state appears to be only half true.
While the North Goa administration banned the outfit earlier this week, South Goa district collector Mihir Vardhan told IANS that the SRS was not yet banned in the southern district which borders Karnataka.
“We have not banned the SRS in South Goa because we have not received any adverse reports from the police. The moment we do, we will not hesitate in taking action,” Vardhan said.
Home Minister Ravi Naik had earlier said that Goa had banned the Pramod Muthalik-led outfit, which gained overnight notoriety in January after they vandalised a pub in Mangalore and beat up women there. They said women going to pubs was against Indian culture.
The self-proclaimed moral brigade had also threatened to storm Goa in order to “correct” Western culture in the state.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Muthalik's Sri Ram Sene banned in South Goa - Apr 04, 2009
- Pramod Muthalik moves court against ban in Goa - Sep 23, 2009
- Ram Sene should be monitored: Congress - Jun 21, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Goa shuts its doors to Sri Rama Sene and Muthalik - Mar 17, 2009
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- Sri Ram Sene will not find any takers in Goa: Naik - Mar 17, 2009
- Deal with Sri Rama Sene like a terror outfit, says Faleiro - Jun 25, 2012
- Muthalik may be banned from entering Goa - Mar 19, 2009
- Muthalik held for inciting communal clashes in Mysore - Jul 25, 2009
- Valentine's Day was non-event in Bangalore, but not any more! - Feb 11, 2009
- Black-faced Muthalik demands justice - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: asian news, borders, goa district, hindu, home minister, indian culture, indo, mangalore, mihir, news service, north goa, notoriety, pramod, pubs, ravi naik, rightwing, south goa, sri rama, srs, western culture