Sri Lanka advises pilgrims to India to take polio vaccineDecember 16th, 2008 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Dec 16 (IANS) Sri Lanka’s Health Ministry has advised India bound pilgrims to take the polio vaccine before leaving, following reports of a polio epidemic in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh states, reports here said Tuesday.A large number of Sri Lankan Buddhists make pilgrimage to Bihar and Uttar Pradesh where many Buddhist places of worship are located.
“There is a possibility that the dreaded disease could be spread in Sri Lanka through pilgrims returning, if they did not take precautionary measures,” a Health Ministry spokesman said.
The spokesman also said that it was ‘mandatory’ that all pilgrims, irrespective of their age, get the Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV) two weeks before they leave the country for India “for their own protection and to prevent the disease spreading to Sri Lanka”.
Sri Lanka is one of the few countries that have eradicated polio completely and there has been no report of any new patients since 1993.
Recommending that polio vaccine be taken at least two weeks prior to departure to India, the Health Ministry has said that the pilgrims could obtain their vaccines from the public health inspector of their respective areas free of charge.
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- India to scale up its immunisation programmes: Azad - Aug 02, 2011
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- India to support global polio eradication: Azad - Feb 26, 2012
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- Bihar waits for vaccine that fights two polio strains - Dec 09, 2009
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- Polio cases declining in Bihar, says WHO - Feb 04, 2010
- WHO lauds India's year without polio (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- 100 cases this year, eradicating polio remains big challenge in Bihar - Nov 07, 2009
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- Japan gives 120 mn yen grant to fight polio - Mar 26, 2012