Specially-abled gets training to face calamities in AhmedabadMay 19th, 2008 - 10:55 pm ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, May 19 (ANI): Specially-abled people in Ahmedabad are trained to face natural calamities and manage disasters that in turn further boost their confidence.
A self-defense disaster management camp for specially abled people has been organised at Ahmedabad to impart them with training in civil defense and disaster management.
The special three-day-long summer camp has been jointly organized by Special sports Academy of Ahmedabad, Institute of Fire Technology, Bavla and Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority.
This special camp has been organized for the first time where the specially-abled people are given practice in rifle shooting and swimming, We never thought before how to deal with situations like floods, earthquake, fire. Even normal people don’t think particularly on this matter. I must say that it’s sheer luck that many people have survived and they have come out safe at the time of crisis. We have faced several disasters but it is for the first time the self defense disaster management has organized this event keeping in mind the need of specially abled people to tackle natural calamities, said Kanubhai Shelar, President, Society for Specially abled.
Specially abled people feel that such an exercise is must for them so that they are not left at the mercy of others during calamities.
Normal people can save themselves during such crisis but it becomes difficult for specially abled people like us to deal with the situation. Therefore, this training holds importance for us as we will learn how to face natural calamities in our own capacity, said Maulesh Patel, Specially abled person.
The initiative is getting a very positive response and looking at its success the organizers have decided to hold such events across the state and later in other parts of the country. (ANI)
- Ahmedabad hosts a job fair for specially-abled people - Dec 09, 2009
- Shimla hosts campaign to motivate specially-abled children - Nov 28, 2010
- Specially-abled men participate in bodybuilding championship - Feb 22, 2011
- National coaching camp for specially-abled persons organised in Chennai - Jul 30, 2010
- Cultural festival of specially-abled children organized in Imphal - May 01, 2011
- Japan nuke disaster affects search for missing in Fukushima - Mar 24, 2011
- Pakistan seeks UN help for early weather warning system - Oct 06, 2011
- Japan prepares to intercept North Korean rocket - Mar 30, 2012
- Cricket camp organized for specially-abled children in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 03, 2010
- Kashmir approves disaster management policy - Feb 01, 2012
- Uttarakhand Govt. starts disaster management training program - Dec 12, 2010
- Survivor pulled out alive 8 days after Japan disaster - Mar 19, 2011
- President Pratibha Patil awards specially-abled persons on World Disability Day - Dec 03, 2010
- NDMC launches disaster management centre - Feb 19, 2011
- Zardari seeks global help to cope with disasters - Oct 08, 2011
Tags: civil defense, confidence, disaster management, disasters, earthquake, exercise, fire technology, floods, gujarat state, initiative, management authority, natural calamities, organizers, self defense, sheer luck, special sports, sports academy, state disaster, summer camp