Special vitamin supplement could prevent baby brain disorderMarch 22nd, 2009 - 1:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 22 (ANI): Taking a special vitamin supplement during pregnancy can keep hydrocephalus, one of the most common birth brain defects, at bay, claim researchers.
According to scientists, who conducted tests on rats to reach the conclusion, results have shown a combination of folates dramatically reduces the rates of hydrocephalus - in which fluids build up in the brain’’s chambers.
However, its too early to say anything further, say researchers in the Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology.
Most obvious symptom of the disorder is an unusually large head size. Other symptoms can include: vomiting, sleepiness, irritability, downward deviation of the eyes and seizures.
Many children also display symptoms that can be mistaken for naughtiness, such as verbal aggression and swearing, hyperactivity, not paying attention and generally unusual behaviour.
Although the supplement itself is not currently available, so researchers are seeking the support of a pharmaceutical company willing to produce it as a pill.
“Cerebrospinal fluid is not a liquid which simply cushions the brain and carries chemicals around it. It is actively produced and transported and plays an essential biological role in developing the brain, The BBC quoted lead researcher Jaleel Miyan, as saying. (ANI)
- Vitamin B may keep dementia at bay - Aug 18, 2010
- Natural vitamin E protects brain cells after stroke - Jul 06, 2011
- Test to detect Alzheimer's at its earliest stage 'seems possible' - Dec 22, 2010
- Higher levels of folate in RBCs linked to silenced tumor-suppressors - Dec 23, 2010
- Brain Fluid Drained Via Catheter, Gabrielle Giffords Needs Time Before Heading For Rehab - Jan 24, 2011
- Vitamin B 'new weapon against Alzheimer's' - Sep 09, 2010
- Vitamin B12 may protect against Alzheimer's disease - Oct 19, 2010
- Shunt surgery 'improves' dementia patients' mental function - Jan 26, 2011
- Scientists shed new light on proteins in brain fluids - Mar 12, 2011
- EPO doping 'can cut cerebral malaria related deaths' - Apr 22, 2011
- Diet high in B-vitamins 'lowers heart risk' - Apr 16, 2010
- Low vitamin D worsens lupus: Study - May 08, 2012
- Low vitamin D levels spell depression - Jan 06, 2012
- Bask in the sunshine to beat the blues - May 19, 2010
- Study Suggests Use Of Vitamin B Delays Alzheimer's Disease - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: bbc, biological role, brain defects, brain disorder, chemicals, claim researchers, cushions, folates, hydrocephalus, hyperactivity, irritability, journal of neuropathology, miyan, paying attention, pharmaceutical company, rats, researcher, seizures, verbal aggression, vitamin supplement