Spanish gay couple’s child dream comes true in IndiaFebruary 16th, 2011 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) A Spanish gay couple who wanted to have a child saw their dream come true in India where, through artificial fertilisation, a surrogate mother delivered their twin babies.
In a press conference in the capital Wednesday, Anoop Gupta, medical director of Delhi IVF fertility research and test tube baby centre, said: “The couple contacted me and came all the way from Spain to have a baby and fortunately their dream came true. They had twin male babies Feb 1″.
According to Gupta, the centre arranged for an egg donor and, through an agency, got someone who was prepared to be the surrogate mother.
“After artificial fertilisation, we put the embryo in the surrogate mother’s uterus. It was a success and she recently delivered the babies. They are, at the moment, with the surrogate mother and will soon be handed over to the couple,” Gupta said.
The entire medical expense came to $20,000. The husband is aged 38 while his partner was 27, Gupta said.
“I think this feat is an important step towards realising the rights of the gay community because it gives hope to same sex couples to have children,” Gupta said.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) guidelines too support the cause and say that same-sex couples and single parent have the right to have children, he said.
According to him, the health ministry too has proposed a law on the same line so that this right is respected.
- Women's rights being violated in India's surrogacy capital - Mar 02, 2012
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- IVF clinics mushroom under toothless ICMR guidelines (Feature) - Oct 19, 2011
- Chinese couple have eight babies using IVF - Dec 19, 2011
- New tool may prevent twin births after IVF - Oct 01, 2010
- IVF breakthrough boosts pregnancy chances - Oct 13, 2010
- 100 babies aborted in Britain by women not wanting multiple births - Dec 29, 2011
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- British surrogate mother 'retires' after 10 children - Jun 30, 2012
- Australian gay couple wins parenting right to twins - Jan 22, 2011
- Chris Daughtry Will Be Daddy To Boy/Girl Twins! - Jul 14, 2010
- Indian surrogacy brings twin delights to Australian couple - Jan 08, 2012
- Oz gay couple paying 80, 000 dollars to Indian women to have surrogate babies - Sep 13, 2010
- Counselling surrogate moms to give up their babies - Jan 15, 2012
- 16 years after son died, child born to elerly Haryana couple - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: anoop gupta, artificial fertilisation, baby centre, egg donor, fertility research, gay community, gay couple, health ministry, ivf, male babies, medical director, medical expense, medical research, s child, same sex couples, single parent, surrogate mother, test tube baby, twin babies, uterus