Soybean product could help stave off AlzheimersFebruary 19th, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 19 (ANI): A fermented food made from boiled soybeans, which is popular in Asian countries for its ability to protect against heart attacks, has shown promise in preventing the formation of amyloid proteins involved in Alzheimers disease, say Taiwan researchers.
The study, led by Rita P. Y. Chen has revealed that people in Asia have been eating natto, a vegan food, for more than 1,000 years.
Natto contains an enzyme, nattokinase, which has effects similar to clot-busting drugs used in heart disease.
Nattokinase is sold a dietary supplement to improve the bodys circulatory system.
This is the first study on whether nattokinase also can dissolve amyloidsthe tangled proteins involved in Alzheimers disease and several other health problems.
The researchers found that the nattokinase degraded several kinds of amyloid fibrils in the study.
Thus, it was concluded that its possible use in the treatment of amyloid-related diseases.
Moreover, since natto has been ingested by humans for a long time, it would be worthwhile to carry out an epidemiological study on the rate of occurrence of various amyloid-related diseases in a population regularly consuming natto, the scientists said.
The study is published in a latest issue of ACS Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a bi-weekly publication. (ANI)
- High heart attack risks in vegans can be cut by omega-3s and B12 - Feb 03, 2011
- Turmeric-based drug being tested against Alzheimer's - Feb 15, 2012
- Vegan lifestyle 'ups risk of heart attack, stroke' - Apr 07, 2011
- New discovery may lead to drug treatment possibilities for Alzheimer's - Feb 11, 2011
- Chronic high cholesterol diet leads to brain damage: Study - Nov 25, 2010
- Insulin could play powerful role in fighting Alzheimer's - Apr 02, 2011
- High cholesterol linked to Alzheimer's - Sep 13, 2011
- Drug reversing Alzheimer's symptoms found - Feb 12, 2012
- Protein changes in heart indicate Alzheimer's disease linked with heart failure - Nov 16, 2009
- Scientists trace link between Alzheimer's, heart failure - Nov 16, 2009
- Key Alzheimer's risk gene causes alterations in shapes of brain protein deposits - Jul 15, 2010
- Drug reverses Alzheimer's symptoms in mice: Study - Feb 10, 2012
- Blood vessel dysfunction linked to heart disease also plays role in Alzheimer's - Dec 03, 2010
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
- Smoking could predispose people to dementia - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: acs, acs journal, amyloid proteins, asian countries, circulatory system, dietary supplement, diseases, epidemiological study, fibrils, health problems, heart attacks, heart disease, journal of agricultural and food chemistry, nattokinase, occurrence, rita, soybean product, soybeans, vegan food, y chen