Soon, supersonic plane that can dampen sonic boomsJuly 1st, 2010 - 5:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 1 (ANI): A new design concept for a revolutionary faster-than-sound plane could shatter the legal barriers followed by supersonic flights over land - by hushing the sonic booms created by such aircraft.
According to a NASA statement, the concept aircraft, a brainchild of aerospace major Lockheed Martin, would revolutionize supersonic cruising by relying upon a so-called “inverted-V” engine-under wing configuration, where the engines sit atop the wings rather than beneath.
A Lockheed illustration of the supersonic concept released by NASA is just one of several designs presented in April to the space agency’s Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate following a call for studies on advanced aircraft that could take to the skies sometime around 2030 or 2035, reports Space.com.
The US and many other countries previously banned overland supersonic flights because of their classic sonic boom and rattle effect.
That prevented the now out of use Concorde airliner from going supersonic except over water during transatlantic trips. Since then, NASA has undertaken several studies with supersonic flights with the objective of shushing supersonic booms. (ANI)
- Fastest Concorde speedometer up for auction - Mar 20, 2011
- MIT-designed green plane to use 70 percent less fuel - May 19, 2010
- NASA plans to reduce sonic booms to distant rumbles in jets - Feb 11, 2009
- Faster, larger, quieter superplanes by 2025? - Jan 16, 2011
- Navy warns of fighter planes' sonic booms in Goa - Sep 07, 2010
- Concorde may take to the skies again - May 30, 2010
- Radical triangular plane to take to sky in future - Aug 08, 2012
- Hypersonic jets that fly at five times the speed of sound - Nov 05, 2010
- NASA's eco-friendly, cheaper airplanes to hit runways by 2050 - May 19, 2010
- Indian students stand second in non-US division of NASA supersonic design contest - Jul 11, 2009
- Soon, supersonic aircraft would be much quieter than before - Jan 23, 2009
- NASA's Orion 'moon' craft that could put man on asteroid unveiled - Mar 23, 2011
- Soon: 'Hypersonic' passenger jets that travel at 5 times the speed of sound - Nov 05, 2010
- Sonic Boom Rocks Florida - Feb 22, 2010
- Futuristic 'sleek jets' could be new travel option for fliers - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: aeronautics, aerospace, airliner, brainchild, concorde, flights, illustration, july 1, legal barriers, lockheed martin, nasa, objective, sonic boom, sonic booms, space agency, supersonic plane, wing configuration, wings