Soon, gecko lizards inspired Spiderman glovesJanuary 23rd, 2008 - 4:36 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 23 (ANI): Your dreams of scaling walls like Spider-man may soon be a reality, for researchers at the University of California, Berkeley are developing gecko-gloves for the comic hero type climbing.
The “Spiderman gloves” could be ready within three years.
The research team have reported that they have solved the mystery of how the lizards manage to stick without getting stuck.
“I think gecko-gloves for Spiderman type climbing could be made in three to five years,” Telegraph quoted Prof Ron Fearing of the University of California, Berkeley, as saying.
The researchers said that while conventional adhesive tape sticks when pressed on a surface, the new gecko-inspired adhesive only adheres when it slides. This implies that it is a directional adhesive, exploiting the same effect, which allows a real gecko to run up walls while rapidly attaching and detaching its toes.
The gecko-inspired smart adhesive, which is dry, uses hard plastic microscopic fibres of polypropylene that mimic this effect.
As for the prospect of spidey gloves, “of course, climbing would require a good athlete, and it would probably be a good idea to have some extra contact area such as pads on knees, chest, and so on. There are issues remaining to be solved, as in sticking to dirty or rough surfaces, such as you would find on the outside of a building, said Prof Fearing.
“Gecko tape was proved as a concept a few years ago by our group. Since then, there have been several steps in the right direction to reach its commercial availability and the current papers are yet another one. But it requires a giant leap to make gecko tape available in shops, which we all are looking forward to, said Prof Andre Geim of the University of Manchester.
The study is published in the journal Interface. (ANI)
- Gecko-inspired material could make you scale buildings like Spiderman - Aug 26, 2010
- Scaling up walls like Spider Man comes closer to reality - Aug 27, 2010
- Gecko's feet inspire unique wall hugging device - Feb 17, 2012
- Geckos inspire adhesives that stick even when wet - Aug 12, 2012
- Insects inspires mother of all adhesives - Nov 06, 2011
- Now, a ground-breaking gecko like adhesive that self cleans after use - Sep 11, 2008
- Ever fancy walking up the wall like Spiderman? - Feb 02, 2010
- Beetle footpads could inspire novel man-made adhesives - Apr 06, 2011
- Gecko-inspired method to print electronics on clothes, plastic and leather - Sep 21, 2010
- Why geckos have 'superglue' feet - Oct 18, 2010
- Adhesive 10 times stickier than gecko's developed - Oct 15, 2008
- Frog feet could solve sticky medical problems - Jul 03, 2011
- Soon, robots that run like cheetahs, stick like geckos, mimic roaches - Oct 18, 2009
- Geckos' amazing grip triggered by gravity - Aug 05, 2009
- New palm-sized adhesive device can make you Spider Man! - Feb 02, 2010
Tags: adhesive tape, athlete, comic hero, commercial availability, fibres, gecko, gecko lizards, geim, giant leap, gloves, hero type, lizards, london jan, polypropylene, right direction, rough surfaces, several steps, spider man, university of california berkeley, university of manchester