Soon, an injectable vaccine to help kick the buttNovember 18th, 2009 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 18 (ANI): Good news for smokers struggling to quit: an injectable vaccine has been developed that may help them kick the habit.
Smokers could soon have access to the vaccine following a deal between GlaxoSmithKline and Nabi Pharmaceuticals, the company that developed the drug.
The NicVAX vaccine creates anti-bodies that bind to nicotine molecules and stops them entering the blood flowing into the brain, where the pleasurable sensation is created.
Tests of the vaccine have shown that it can halve the number of smokers who go back to nicotine after trying to give it up.
The deal will see GSK paying 24 million pounds up front and 296 million pounds to Nabi.
“If approved this… technology could be a novel solution to help the millions of smokers who want to stop smoking and remain abstinent; a habit that is very well documented to be very hard to stop permanently,” the Telegraph quoted Jean Stephenne, president of GSK’s Biologicals division, as saying. (ANI)
- A jab now to help quit smoking - Jun 28, 2012
- Swine flu jab under scrutiny over dangerous sleep disorder fears - Aug 28, 2010
- Dr Reddy's acquires US-based oral penicillin facility - Nov 24, 2010
- Cuba launches world's first lung cancer retardant - Sep 07, 2011
- Dubai health authority launches anti-smoking hotline - Jun 14, 2012
- New malaria vaccine found safe for children - Feb 06, 2010
- Swine flu vaccine made by killing sharks - Dec 30, 2009
- Personalized approach to smoking cessation may soon be a reality - Jul 03, 2010
- New anti-malaria vaccine found effective in children - Feb 04, 2010
- GlaxoSmithKline to go public with malaria data - Jan 20, 2010
- Sudden sleep syndrome may hit kids after swine flu jab - Apr 24, 2011
- Dr Reddy's ties up with GlaxoSmithKline - Jun 15, 2009
- Expect better vaccines to quit smoking - May 10, 2010
- Pharma firms to conduct H1N1 vaccine human trials in India - Dec 08, 2009
- French Man Claims GlaxoSmithKline Drug Made Him Gay Sex Addict - Feb 01, 2011