Soon, a pill that would help women fight ‘monthly blues’January 17th, 2011 - 12:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 17 (ANI): Dreadful mood swings and late-night cravings for chocolate in women with pre-menstrual tension may soon become a thing of the past as scientists come a step closer to making a pill that would reduce the symptoms of PMT (pre-menstrual syndrome).
The research found that the capsule, which contains fatty acids, reduced the emotional and physical symptoms in millions of British women, reports the Daily Express.
Women who took the supplement over six months reported ‘far milder’ symptoms, said that scientists.
Common symptoms of PMT include irritability, mood swings, depression and angry outbursts, as well as abdominal cramps, bloating and headaches.
Scientists at Brazil’s Federal University of Pernambuco said in some cases the symptoms are so severe it can lead to women suffering serious mental problems and even attempting to take their lives.
Lead researcher Edilberto Rocha Filho, said, “Essential oil capsules can now be said to show much promise as a treatment.”
The capsules include gamma linolenic acid, oleic acid and linoleic acid, combined with vitamin E. They were tested on a group of 120 PMS sufferers aged 16 to 49.
The findings were reported in the journal Reproductive Health. (ANI)
- Vitamin E pill seems to ease PMS pain - Jan 17, 2011
- A tiny dose of Prozac may help relieve women's monthly misery - Sep 18, 2010
- PMS: Women's monthly misery just a drug away - Sep 19, 2010
- Prozac could ease misery of premenstrual syndrome (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Study: Stress worsens the PMS symptoms - Aug 25, 2010
- Now, a wristband that alerts husbands when wives are suffering from PMT - Feb 23, 2011
- Canola-type rapeseed oil cuts levels of inflammation - Nov 09, 2010
- Fed-up women wish they were men: Survey - Feb 19, 2010
- One in four fed up women wish they were men - Feb 19, 2010
- Why women feel anxious, depressed and irate at that 'time of the month' - Feb 15, 2011
- Gene with role in premenstrual disorder identified - Feb 09, 2010
- Stress management can help women cope with premenstrual symptoms - Oct 20, 2009
- PMS bothering you? Stress management can help (Lead) - Oct 20, 2009
- Sunflower oils may help produce fuel and feed for herds - Jul 24, 2010
- A football package at Goa festival - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: abdominal cramps, angry outbursts, bloating, british women, cravings, fatty acids, headaches, irritability, late night, london jan, mood swings depression, oleic acid, pernambuco, pms sufferers, pre menstrual syndrome, pre menstrual tension, reproductive health, researcher, six months, vitamin e