Some coffee, cola ok during pregnancyJanuary 21st, 2010 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 21 (ANI): Here’s some good news for mums-to-be: experts state that pregnant woman can drink up to three cups of instant coffee or four cans of cola each day.
But if turning to nearby coffee shop, then they should limit themselves to one espresso, cappucino or latte per day, Food Standards Australia New Zealand states in its new guidelines for women planning pregnancy or already pregnant.
“While having large amounts of caffeine does not appear to cause birth defects, drinking high amounts of caffeine may make it more difficult to become pregnant and may increase the risk of miscarriage or having a baby with low birth weight,” the guideline states.
Giving her opinion, expectant mother Juliet Potter said: “Given this new information I would love to go back to one a day or a weak one occasionally,” the Vaucluse mum said. “I think it is important to have guidelines as there is lots of misinformation on what you should and shouldn’t eat or drink.”
The authority also recommended that woman trying to fall pregnant or who are pregnant take folic acid and iodine, reports The Daily Telegraph.
“Health professionals recommend taking a supplement of at least 400 micrograms every day one month before and three months after conception to reduce the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida,” it stated. (ANI)
- Folic acid protects offsprings from colon cancer - May 27, 2011
- Diabetic women likely to deliver babies with defects - Feb 06, 2012
- Eggs may help lower risk of neural tube defects - Aug 13, 2009
- Supplements can raise asthma risk - Nov 05, 2009
- Thousands of pregnant women in Goa given inferior capsules: Report - Mar 18, 2011
- Intake of folic acid supplements in late pregnancy could cause asthma in kids - Nov 04, 2009
- Pregnant women can enjoy one cup of coffee a day - Jul 24, 2010
- Folate could prevent alcohol-induced congenital heart defects in mice - May 25, 2010
- Drugs that block folic acid in pregnancy double birth defects risk - Oct 14, 2009
- Heavy drinking during pregnancy 'ups premature birth risk' - Apr 11, 2011
- Folic acid reduces some childhood cancers - May 21, 2012
- Obesity during pregnancy ups birth defects risk - Feb 11, 2009
- How you like your coffee predicts your personality - Feb 09, 2010
- Coffee boosts women's brainpower but addles men's - Feb 02, 2011
- Report: Three-headed baby born in Sumatra, Indonesia - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: birth defects, cappucino, coffee cola, coffee shop, daily telegraph, espresso, food standards australia, food standards australia new zealand, having a baby, health professionals, instant coffee, iodine, jan 21, latte, low birth weight, micrograms, misinformation, mums, neural tube defects, pregnant woman