Solar flare to ‘paralyse Earth’ in just 3 years’ timeSeptember 21st, 2010 - 12:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 21 (ANI): 2013 is being heralded as the year that might see catastrophic events wreaking havoc with our planet, say scientists.
They fear a huge solar flare is due to erupt in 2013 - and expected to cause power grids to crash, communication systems to collapse, planes to be grounded, food supplies to be hit and the Internet to be shut down.
Defence Secretary Liam Fox called an emergency conference in London yesterday where he warned of potential damage if an explosion similar to the one in 1859 occurred in modern times. Occurring only once about every century, the solar flare could cause massive power surges.
Yesterday’s conference also heard that a hostile power could cause a similar effect by exploding a nuclear weapon in space.
“While we all benefit from scientific advances, so we also create vulnerabilities that can be exploited by our enemies,” The Sun quoted Fox as saying.
“However advanced we become, the chain of our security is only as strong as its weakest link,” he added.
And former US government defence adviser Dr Avi Schnurr warned, “A geomagnetic storm could shatter nations all over the earth. We cannot wait for disaster to spur us to action.” (ANI)
- Solar storm gains strength - Mar 10, 2012
- Solar Storm Warning Issued By NASA Scientists - Jun 25, 2010
- Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs' - Aug 26, 2010
- Sun's 'killer flare' won't end earth in 2012: NASA - Nov 13, 2011
- NASA Warns Solar Storms of 2012 Can Shut Down US for Months! - Aug 17, 2010
- Freak solar storm could hit London Olympics - Jan 07, 2011
- Solar Storm In 2012 : Reports NASA - Aug 17, 2010
- New method could predict solar flares - Aug 14, 2012
- Scientist urges 'to take risk of a global Katrina seriously' - Feb 28, 2011
- Powerful solar storm disrupts communications - Feb 20, 2011
- Areva joins Reliance to set up solar power plant - Apr 13, 2012
- 'Solar tsunami' offers new clues about sun - Dec 15, 2010
- 33pc of Sun's blasts are 'sneak attacks' that occur without warning - Dec 08, 2010
- Physical mechanism behind 'sympathetic flares' on the Sun discovered - Dec 14, 2010
- Powerful solar flare disrupts ground communications on Earth - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: 3 years, adviser, catastrophic events, communication systems, defence secretary, emergency conference, food supplies, geomagnetic storm, government defence, hostile power, liam fox, massive power, nuclear weapon, power grids, schnurr, scientific advances, solar flare, vulnerabilities, weakest link, wreaking havoc