Social ‘petworking’ sites maybe a recipe for disaster for pets, owners alikeMay 11th, 2009 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 11 (ANI): Social “petworking” sites could put members and their pets in danger, experts have warned.
Online communities have witnessed a rise in the number of owners who are revealing breed information, details of their walking routine and posting pictures, while creating profiles for their pets on the Internet.
Debbie Connolly, Animal Behaviourist and Founder of SafePets UK, fears that pet owners may easily be inviting troubles like dog-knapping, if they are not careful enough to limit their information on ‘petworking’ websites.
“Never mind the dogs, what about personal safety? Most of the users are women. It’s a ‘please stalk me and steal my dog’ site,” Sky News quoted her as saying.
But some argue that such websites just offer fun for genuine animal lovers.
Geoffrey Roche, creator of Dogbook, an application from Facebook, said that the “dangers” involved were like anywhere else on the rest of the WorldWideWeb.
He said: “Of course you should be careful, but no more so than anywhere else on the internet. People can put up faux profiles anywhere, and the same sort of things to watch out for would exist for if you meet someone through your dog.” (ANI)
- Pet Store Products Might Be Harmful For Pets - Jun 18, 2010
- Today is National Dog Day! - Aug 26, 2011
- Pets could be benefitting your kids at home - Jul 17, 2012
- China outraged as owner drops dog from 18th floor - Aug 10, 2012
- Single dogs can now find a mate on the web - Nov 14, 2010
- Safety Tips For Pets On Halloween - Oct 29, 2010
- Study: Over half of American pets are fat - Feb 24, 2011
- Toy story in a dog's world - Aug 25, 2011
- Kiwi women believe dogs are better listeners than their partners: Survey - Aug 23, 2010
- Why city folks treat dogs as their kids - Aug 16, 2010
- No dog is a dud, just a mismatch with its owner: Expert - Sep 14, 2010
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- 12pc of pooches with Facebook profiles have more friends than you do - Mar 09, 2011
- Iran may ban dogs from public places - Apr 14, 2011
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: animal behaviourist, animal lovers, disaster, dogbook, dogs, fears, information details, knapping, london, online communities, personal safety, pet owners, pets owners, profiles, roche, sky news, worldwideweb