Smallest town in US up for saleApril 5th, 2012 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 5 (IANS/EFE) Buford, Wyoming, the smallest town in the US, is going on sale this week for an asking price of $100,000.
The sale, set for Thursday, “represents a unique opportunity to acquire an entire town, along with the Buford Trading Post, an income-producing convenience and fuel store”, the firm handling the auction said.
Selling the town was the idea of Buford’s self-proclaimed mayor and only resident, Don Sammons, who has spent the past few years alone after his wife died and the couple’s grown son moved away.
The 61-year-old Sammons owns and operates the Buford Trading Post, a gas station and convenience store mainly serving travelers on Interstate 80, which crosses the country from New York to San Francisco.
Founded in 1866, Buford was once home to as many as 2,000 people, most of them employed in building the railroad, but its isolated location left residents with few employment options once the railway was completed.
Sammons moved to Buford with his family in the 1980s.
The property includes 10 acres of land, a three-bedroom house, five US Post Office boxes and a cell phone tower.
- Five held in US for plotting to blow up bridge - May 01, 2012
- Reggaeton duo bring out their first album - Aug 04, 2011
- US indicts two for trafficking jaguar pelts - Aug 31, 2011
- Spanish town launches yearly tomato `war' - Sep 01, 2011
- Brazil sets auto export quotas for Mexico - Apr 05, 2012
- Gold becomes Peru's No.1 export - May 09, 2012
- Police chief murdered in Mexican town - Mar 11, 2011
- Retail sales in US rose in January - Feb 15, 2012
- Kids among eight hacked to death in Honduras - Jan 12, 2012
- Cattle baron slain in Mexico - Jan 29, 2011
- US trade deficit grew 33 percent in 2010 - Feb 12, 2011
- Puerto Rico busts septuagenarian for selling drugs - Mar 07, 2012
- Argentina looks to stem imports of Mexican-made autos - Apr 03, 2012
- Prison official slain in Venezuela - Jul 07, 2012
- Beatles music fuels giant street party in Rio - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: 1980s, asking price, auction, buford wyoming, cell phone tower, convenience store, efe, employment options, gas station, interstate 80, post office boxes, railway, sammons, san francisco, trading post, travelers