Skinny jeans can lead to ‘tingling thigh syndrome’May 23rd, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 23 (ANI): They are haute, sexy, and give your legs a ‘fashionable’ edge. But if you’re planning to slip into that super-tight pair of jeans for the night out, then here’s a news flash: the skin-fit garment can cause a nerve problem called meralgia paresthetica or “tingling thigh syndrome.”
What’s more, coupled with stiletto heels, the pressure these jeans put on the femoral cutaneous nerve that runs through the thigh can cause tingling and burning through the leg, reports MSNBC.com.
The condition’s developer Parmeeta Ghoman recalls the initial feeling of “tingling thigh syndrome,” reports The New York Daily News.
She said: “It felt really strange - it felt like my leg had gone to sleep.”
“The nerve, in some people, is susceptible to compression,” Dr. John England, of the American Academy of Neurology said.
“It is a pure sensory nerve - it doesn’t go to muscles or provide strength. Anything that is tight around there could potentially compress the nerve that goes there,” the expert added.
According to chiropractic physician Dr. William Madosky, “The key is, you remove the pressure, and the nerve regenerates.” (ANI)
- Watch your step - with high heels - May 20, 2010
- Parkinson's drug effective in treating restless leg syndrome - Dec 07, 2010
- The Magic Of Looking Stylish Is Locked In A Proper Footwear - Jan 11, 2011
- Fizzy drinks light up pain sensors set off by spicy food - Sep 29, 2010
- 'Walking corpse syndrome' makes people think they're zombies - Oct 30, 2010
- Sweater Dresses Look Stylish With Tights, Leggings Or TightJeans - Dec 17, 2010
- New method to help nerves grow after trauma or injury found - Jul 13, 2010
- Simple fingertip test may identify breast cancer patients at CTS risk - Dec 11, 2010
- Masturbation can ease restless leg syndrome - Apr 01, 2011
- Coming soon: a diving suit that turns humans into fish - Nov 22, 2010
- A bionic leg which responds to muscular signals - Apr 21, 2011
- Head of Fukushima n-plant operator resigns - May 20, 2011
- Withdrawal symptoms in addicts could be reversed - Nov 01, 2011
- Berlusconi has right hand surgery - Jul 29, 2011
- Latest trend: Mother-daughter 'cosmetic surgery duets' - May 09, 2010
Tags: academy of neurology, american academy of neurology, dr john, dr william, femoral cutaneous nerve, garment, john england, legs, msnbc, muscles, nerve problem, new york daily news, news flash, pair of jeans, sensory nerve, skinny jeans, sleep, stiletto heels, tight pair, york daily news