Six convicted for Haryana honour killing (Lead, Superseding earlier story)March 25th, 2010 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Karnal (Haryana), March 25 (IANS) A court here Thursday held six men guilty of murdering a young couple for marrying within their ‘gotra’ in a chilling case that rocked Haryana in 2007.
The conviction was pronounced by Additional District and Sessions Judge Vani Gopal Sharma. The judge convicted a seventh man, a driver, for kidnapping.
The sentence will be announced March 29.
Manoj, 23, who ran an electronics repair shop at Kaithal, married Babli, 19, resident of Karoran village, against the wishes of the girl’s family.
They eloped in May 2007 and were murdered the next month.
The girl’s family was furious that the couple had married despite belonging to the same ‘gotra’ (sub-caste). The family called the marriage a shame.
Sensing threat to their lives, the couple approached police, which produced them before a Kaithal court June 15, 2007. The court had directed the police to provide them security.
According to the police, the girl’s relatives dragged the couple out of a Karnal-bound bus in June 2007. Thereafter, the newsly weds were brutally murdered and their bodies thrown into an irrigation canal.
The six who were held guilty of murder included five relatives of Babli, the young wife.
They included her brother Suresh, cousins Gurdev and Satish, uncles Baru Ram and Rajender, as well as an influential man of her village, Ganga Raj, who also headed the so-called ‘khap panchayat’ that vetoed the marriage.
Mandeep Singh, the driver, was convicted for kidnapping the couple, said the police.
In 2007, Haryana Police head constable Jayendra Singh, one of those assigned to protect Manoj and Babli, was found guilty of disclosing the couple’s whereabouts to the girl’s family. But he did not face a trial.
Kaithal police chief Sandeep Khirwar told IANS: “I remember that a departmental inquiry was conducted against the guilty policemen. Police must have taken appropriate action against them.”
- Death sentence to five in Haryana honour killing (Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Manoj-Babli case: Punjab and Haryana HC commutes death sentence to life imprisonment - Mar 11, 2011
- Haryana court Tuesday to spell punishment for honour killing - Mar 29, 2010
- Death sentences in 'honour killing' case commuted to 20 years - Mar 11, 2011
- Five in Haryana to die for 'honour killings' (Third Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Honour killing convict planned murder of victim's kin - Jan 19, 2011
- Five in Haryana get death penalty for honour killings (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Haryana asked to pay Rs.6 lakh to murdered groom's kin - Jul 02, 2011
- Court orders death for five in Haryana honour killing (Fourth Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Six held guilty for honour killing in Haryana - Mar 25, 2010
- Khap leaders vow to defend honour killing convicts (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Divisions among Khap leaders, another meeting called May 23 (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- My life threatened: Honour killing victim's sister - Dec 28, 2010
- Decision on Haryana judge's transfer likely Monday - Apr 17, 2010
- Law tightens noose around Haryana's community courts - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: caste, cousins, electronics repair, gopal sharma, gotra, head constable, irrigation canal, jayendra, kaithal, manoj, panchayat, police chief, police head, policemen, raj, sandeep, six men, uncles, young couple, young wife