Simian couple ties knot in style in OrissaMarch 25th, 2009 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 25 (IANS) A marriage of two monkeys that had brought luck to their caretakers was solemnised and attended by at least 10,000 people in a temple in an Orissa village, a media report said Wednesday.
The rituals were performed Tuesday in a temple at Maitapur village in the coastal district of Balasore, about 200 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. Many women, children and local people attended the wedding, Oriya daily Suryaprabha reported.
“The groom Ramu, a three-year-old monkey, was brought in a procession to the marriage venue where it married Champabati, a two-year-old female monkey, as the priests chanted hymns,” it said.
Ramu’s caretaker Brundabana Parida said he found the monkey abandoned in the forest a year ago and brought the animal home. He raised the animal like his son and it brought him luck.
“It was my duty to find a mate for the pet. I am happy that I got one,” said Parida.
“On the day of the wedding Ramu travelled to the temple in a decorated wagon accompanied by a procession amidst dancing, sound of music and cracker,” eyewitness Kanhu Charan Singh told IANS.
The animal was sitting on the lap of his caretaker atop a flower decorated wagon wearing a turban and white kurta-pyjama. Villagers blew conches and women welcomed the groom by ululating, he said.
He said over 10,000 people attended the wedding party hosted by the caretakers of the couple.
- Happily ever after for Raju-Chinki, the monkeys? - Jul 07, 2011
- This marriage is pure monkey business! - Jun 24, 2011
- Pranab's hometown rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' - Jun 23, 2012
- Cricket mania hits mass wedding ceremony in Udaipur - Feb 26, 2011
- Pranab's Mirati rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Dalit groom seeks police protection to ride mare - Feb 11, 2012
- Man injured in monkey attack in Shimla - Jan 10, 2011
- Cambodian snake wedding attracts hundreds of villagers - Jan 04, 2011
- Abu Dhabi prince attends mass wedding - Jan 15, 2012
- Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu with traditional fervour - Jan 15, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Cricket lovers marry with bats and balls in hand! - Feb 26, 2011
- Simian couple on a honeymoon after lavish wedding - Mar 03, 2008
- Varun Gandhi's wedding rituals start at Varanasi - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: balasore, bhubaneswar, caretaker, caretakers, charan singh, coastal district, conches, cracker, dancing sound, hymns, kurta pyjama, orissa, parida, procession, rituals, sound of music, ties knot, turban, ululating, wedding party