Shuttle Discovery launch targeted for no earlier than Feb 3December 4th, 2010 - 11:33 am ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 4 (ANI): Space shuttle Discovery will not be launched before Feb 3 at 1:34 a.m. EST, NASA managers have said.
They said more tests and analysis are needed before proceeding with the launch of the STS-133 mission to the International Space Station.
The Program Requirements Control Board met Thursday and reviewed engineering evaluations associated with cracks on two 21-foot-long, U-shaped aluminium brackets, called stringers, on the shuttle’s external tank.
They are planning to conduct an instrumented test on the external fuel tank and structural evaluations on stringer test articles to determine if the analysis is correct.
Details and timelines for the tanking test are in work, but plans call for temperature and strain gauge measurements in the intertank region near the top of the tank during the test.
A team of engineers and technicians will inspect the tank for evidence of any foam cracking as it would on an actual launch day. The test also will verify the integrity of repairs to the Ground Umbilical Carrier Plate, which leaked an unsafe amount of gaseous hydrogen during Discovery’s Nov. 5 launch attempt.
Engineers will continue to search for the root cause of the stringer cracks through data analysis and tests, including placement of manufacturing defects in separate stringers to demonstrate structural integrity in an effort to duplicate the same type of failure that occurred in November.
NASA will review and analyze the data from the tests before setting a launch date. Because of Discovery’s delayed launch, the earliest opportunity for the lift-off of the final scheduled shuttle mission, STS-134 on Endeavour, is April 1. (ANI)
- NASA targets space shuttle Discovery's launch for no earlier than Dec. 17 - Nov 25, 2010
- Discovery's launch delayed until December 3 - Nov 19, 2010
- Launch of space shuttle Discovery postponed - Nov 06, 2010
- NASA To Delay Discovery Launch Once Again? - Dec 03, 2010
- NASA calls off Endeavour launch attempt due to technical problem - Apr 30, 2011
- NASA delays flight of Endeavor to avoid space jam - Apr 05, 2011
- New Cracks Found In Space Shuttle Discovery - Nov 11, 2010
- Discovery scheduled to return to Earth for the final time on Wednesday - Mar 08, 2011
- NASA gives nod for space shuttle Discovery's launch on August 25 - Aug 20, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Shuttle Discoverys launch now no earlier than February 19 - Feb 04, 2009
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Space shuttle Discoverys next mission to launch on March 11 - Mar 07, 2009
- NASA invites 150 Twitter followers to Endeavour launch - Apr 26, 2011
- Weather 70 percent 'go' for space shuttle Endeavour launch - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: april 1, correct details, cracks, endeavour, evaluations, external fuel tank, external tank, gaseous hydrogen, instrumented test, international space station, launch day, nasa, nasa managers, nov 5, root cause, shuttle mission sts, space shuttle discovery, strain gauge, stringer, test articles