Sharad Yadav for action against caste panchayatsJuly 14th, 2012 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Slamming Taliban-style diktats by a caste panchayat in Uttar Pradesh against women, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Sharad Yadav deamnded action against such “unconstitutional” groups.
Talking to journalists here, Yadav called the caste panchayat a “slur on the face of society”.
“How the khap (caste) panchayat can put a ban on (women) visiting market and using cellphones? These should be condemned,” he said.
“Government and political leaders are not taking this issue very seriously because of the fear of vote bank,” Yadav said.
The Asaara panchayat in Baghpat district Thursday set out rules for women under 40: they should cover their heads, not use mobile phones, not leave the house after sunset.
It also banned the entry of couples who had a love marriage.
- Panchayat's diktat has no place in democratic society: Chidambaram - Jul 13, 2012
- Outrage over diktat against women, villagers thrash cops (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- UP Khap diktat outrages women politicians, activists (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- After diktat against women, Baghpat villagers thrash cops - Jul 13, 2012
- Women activists slam feudal panchayats, demand action - Jul 13, 2012
- NDA allies together on coal scam: Sharad Yadav - Aug 30, 2012
- JD-U leader supports Mukherjee - Jun 16, 2012
- It also happens here: Women in India fight indifference (Comment) - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav - Jul 22, 2012
- Call special session to discuss Lokpal: Sharad Yadav - Dec 11, 2011
- JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UP - Jan 27, 2012