Shanghai residents most benevolent in ChinaAugust 21st, 2010 - 10:54 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 21 (IANS) Residents of Shanghai are the most benevolent among Chinese citizens in terms of donating to charity.
A survey by MasterCard International has said 60 percent of Shanghai residents plan to donate to charity over the next six months, the highest across the country, China Daily reported.
In terms of generosity, Shanghai is followed by Beijing, where 45 percent of respondents plan to donate to charity. Guangzhou’s rate was 43 percent and next was Wuhan with 36 percent.
Nearly half of those who plan to make a donation expect to give two percent of their annual income, while eight percent of respondents can afford to give more than five percent of their annual income.
The survey found that men are more generous than women, with three percent more men saying they were willing to open their wallets.
Older people and married couples also appear to be more generous, the survey found.
About 58 percent of respondents older than 45 years and 57 percent of married couples plan to contribute to a charitable cause.
As a testimony to their generosity, Shanghai residents donated over 1.2 million yuan ($177,000) to the Red Cross Society of China for mudslide-hit Zhouqu county, where around 1,400 people have died in rain-triggered landslides that struck Aug 8.
- Man rescued three days after China mudslides - Aug 11, 2010
- 337 killed in China mudslides - Aug 10, 2010
- 14 bodies recovered after China mudslide - Jul 09, 2012
- China to resettle 45,000 mudslide-affected people - Aug 11, 2010
- Fears of epidemic after mudslide in China - Aug 13, 2010
- 40 dead in China storms - May 13, 2012
- 19 dead, 45 missing in China storm - May 11, 2012
- China to mourn mudslide victims Sunday, flags to be at half-mast (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Nearly half of China's millionaires consider emigration - Nov 01, 2011
- China mourns mudslide victims, toll rises to 1,248 (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- Women really are more generous than men - Oct 22, 2010
- 30 dead in China storm - May 11, 2012
- China's mudslide-hit county crawls back to normalcy - Aug 17, 2010
- China to mourn nationwide for mudslide victims Sunday - Aug 14, 2010
- More rain threatens China's mudslide-hit region - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: 45 years, charitable cause, china beijing, china daily, chinese citizens, country china, donating to charity, generosity, landslides, married couples, mastercard international, rain, red cross society, respondents, shanghai residents, six months, survey found that, testimony, wallets, yuan