Shanghai boys to learn how not to lose masculinityApril 24th, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, April 24 (IANS) A school in the Chinese metropolis of Shanghai has set up an experimental “boys only” class, as in many schools girls outnumber boys and get better test scores, because of which boys were said to be “losing their masculinity”.
The “boys only” class has sparked off a debate, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
The Shanghai No.8 Senior High School set up the experimental boys only class last week.
The boys-only class aims to allow boys to fully realise their potential with some specially-designed curricula, said schoolmaster Lu Qisheng.
Many people, however, expressed concern over the issue.
“Boys are at a disadvantage in studying compared with girls. It will be harmful for their development and the nation’s future. Boys crisis shows there are problems in education and evaluation systems that hamper their activeness and advantages,” said Wang Ronghua, former president of the Shanghai Academy of Social Science.
Parents are also worried that a “single-sex environment” will affect their children’s ability to communicate with the opposite sex.
A teacher at a girls school said the move should not be blindly promoted. “Single-sex schools have their own advantages and disadvantages. Boy crisis cannot be solved by simply putting boys together.”
- Shanghai may get its first boys school - Mar 23, 2012
- Make learning easy for boys: Chinese lawmaker - Mar 09, 2012
- Single-sex schools don't improve performance - Sep 23, 2011
- Britons now prefer all-boys schools - Sep 30, 2010
- Girls who go to single-sex schools find 'girly' guys more attractive - Aug 28, 2009
- Shanghai to crack down on sex determination clinics - Feb 25, 2012
- Boys' impulsiveness linked to better math ability - Jul 29, 2012
- Boys taught in single-sex schools face divorce, depression by early 40s - Dec 01, 2009
- Women take more risks in company of other women - Nov 30, 2011
- China's kung fu town to build global martial arts conglomerate - Aug 04, 2011
- Girls are better off at single-sex schools - Mar 18, 2009
- Hotel is first in Australia to offer women's only floor - Mar 21, 2011
- Sexual health book in Pakistan schools draws protests - Apr 11, 2011
- Following guilt pang, man surrenders for raping girl - Aug 08, 2011
- Police hunt for Chinese teens who killed cats - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,