sex.com sold for $13 mn after firm goes bustOctober 22nd, 2010 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 22 (IANS) The internet web address sex.com has been sold for a record $13 million.
The distinctive name was put up for auction in July 2010 when its former owner, Escom LLC, went bankrupt.
Clover Holdings, a company registered on the Caribbean island of St Vincent, put in the highest bid for the domain.
At least 12 companies were understood to be bidding for the name. The price is among the highest ever paid for a domain, reports the Daily Mail.
In 2006 when Escom bought sex.com it is thought to have paid up to $14 million for it.
The highest price ever paid for a domain was $16 million, which marketing firm QuinStreet paid for insure.com in 1999.
Sex.com was first registered by Gary Kremen, the owner of the dating site match.com, in 1994.
He later had the name ‘hijacked’ by a conman called Stephen Cohen and waged a long legal battle to retain control of the name.
Cohen ended up being jailed and fined more than $65 million for stealing the domain name.
- World's most expensive website 'Sex.com' sells for $13 million! - Nov 20, 2010
- Sex.com on the lookout for a sugar daddy with $14m in pocket! - Feb 20, 2010
- Domain Sex.com sold for record $13 million - Nov 19, 2010
- Sex.com sets record for the most expensive domain - Feb 23, 2011
- Sex.com Named by Guinness as World's Most Expensive Domain Name - Feb 23, 2011
- Sex.com auction postponed due to bankruptcy - Mar 21, 2010
- Sex.com Goes Bankrupt, Creditors Interrupt Auction - Mar 21, 2010
- Oz companies buying misspelt internet addresses to stop others from using their brands - Feb 06, 2011
- Rush for Sansha domain names in China - Jul 26, 2012
- Rs.7 lakh to remain 'number one' on Chandigarh roads - Apr 30, 2011
- Match.com to screen for sex offenders - Apr 19, 2011
- Sex industry fears ".xxx" domain would create porn 'ghetto' - Mar 11, 2010
- Britney Spears in legal mess over perfume deal - Mar 31, 2011
- Jolie, Parker named Hollywood's highest paid actresses - Jul 06, 2011
- Forget .coms, your name alone can be an internet address - Aug 14, 2011
Tags: auction, bust, caribbean island, clover, conman, daily mail, dating site, distinctive name, domain name, gary kremen, internet web address, london, marketing firm, match, st vincent, stephen cohen