Sex worker sues motel for refusing roomJuly 23rd, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, July 23 (IANS) A sex worker in Australia’s Queensland state has sought $30,000 in compensation from the owners of a motel for refusing her a room after they became aware she was bringing clients to their place.
The woman from Gold Coast — identified only as GK — said Evan and Joan Hartley, owners of Drovers Rest Motel in Moranbah town, refused her a room after they came to know of her business, the Australian Associated Press (AAP) reported.
GK appealed to the Queensland Civil and Administration Tribunal on the grounds that many people use the telephone or internet at the motel for business, and a bed or a room was no different.
The woman had stayed at the motel 17 times in two years without the owners’ knowledge of her work until June 2010. She said she also operates from other hotels and motels in Moranbah.
The defendants’ lawyer told the tribunal that under Queensland’s laws, people were not allowed to run businesses from motel rooms.
Tribunal members questioned whether a lawful sex worker was any different to a travelling accountant or solicitor who also conduct businesses from motels and hotels.
“How do you exclude one type of business and a not another type of business,” one tribunal member said.
“The legislation as it stands permits lawful sexual activity, (if not hotels) where’s it supposed to happen? In people’s own homes,” he asked.
The decision is expected to be announced soon.
- Woman wins case for injuries during sex while on duty - Apr 21, 2012
- Violin from Titanic band found - Jan 31, 2012
- Man throws naked prostitute out of window - Nov 04, 2011
- Chinese airline employee alleges rape by senior - May 10, 2012
- Oz woman sues UAE 5-star hotel after she was raped, jailed for sex outside marriage - Mar 30, 2011
- Sheffield striker jailed for five years for rape - Apr 21, 2012
- Indian-American woman murdered in California motel - Jul 12, 2012
- US woman jailed for shooting sex tape with son - Jun 24, 2012
- Australian rape victim sues her employer UAE hotel - Mar 30, 2011
- Swimsuit model held for heading global drug ring - Mar 18, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn's semen found on maid's shirt - May 24, 2011
- Tyra Banks dating younger model - Jun 09, 2012
- British woman grows cannabis to pay for boob job - Mar 29, 2012
- Brit woman finds diamond ring flushed down the toilet two yrs ago! - Nov 09, 2010
- Two Uttar Pradesh cops booked for gang-rape - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: accountant, australia, australian associated press, defendants lawyer, drovers rest, gold coast, hotels and motels, joan hartley, legislation, melbourne, motel rooms, queensland state, sex worker, sexual activity, solicitor, tribunal members