Sex-change man cannot be registered as woman: Malaysian courtJanuary 8th, 2011 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 8 (IANS) A high court in Malaysia has dismissed the application of a 35-year-old man, who underwent a sex-change operation more than four years ago, to change the gender status on his MyKad, the national identity card.The court ruled that it was not ready to declare the applicant a woman “because his new sexual organ, resembling a female’s, was not endowed on him naturally”, New Straits Times reported Saturday.
After Judicial Commissioner Ridwan Ibrahim made the ruling, the applicant’s counsel, Wong Kah Woh, said that the law did not empower the court to decide such matters.
The applicant’s name was withheld for his security.
“The court held that the National Registration Department (NRD) was right in rejecting the applicant’s application to change information regarding his gender in his MyKad, pending a declaration from the court.
“However, the court ruled that it was not prepared to grant the application because it did not have the power to do so,” said Wong.
The applicant filed his application in the high court in May last year for a declaration to identify himself as a woman in his MyKad after undergoing sex-change surgery in Thailand in 2006.
The NRD director general was named as the respondent.
Wong said he would be appealing to the Court of Appeal within two weeks. The applicant, who is from Malaysian state of Kedah, now lives in Hong Kong, he said.
“My client had sought the court’s declaration because he has been facing problems at immigration checkpoints because of the difference in “her” looks and the information stated on official documents.”
Wong, who is also a legislator, said it was time for the country’s parliament to enact the necessary legislation to give the courts the power to allow such declarations.
- Malaysia to set up special counters to help Indians without documents - Jan 18, 2011
- Malaysia to help ethnic Indians get official documents - Jan 24, 2011
- Malaysia to resolve ethnic Indians' citizenship issues - Dec 31, 2010
- Transgender prisoner in US wants sex-change operation to prevent rape - Apr 21, 2011
- 'My Daftar' campaign for Malay Indians to be launched in Feb 2011 - Dec 30, 2010
- Britain mulls gender-free passports 'to spare transgender' - Sep 19, 2011
- Malay robber's bail posting wife turns out to be sari-clad man! - Jun 25, 2009
- Cher's daughter files petition to become man officially - Mar 31, 2010
- Italian male movie star to change sex - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Stateless' Malaysian Indian seeks royal help to get identity card - Sep 25, 2008
- Chaz Bono is now a man officially - May 07, 2010
- Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro's birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- 1 Malaysian programme addresses 600 Indian cases in a day - Oct 04, 2010
- MIC asks govt. to help Indians without ID, birth certificates - Sep 24, 2008
- Court rejects Assange's plea against extradition (Lead) - May 30, 2012
Tags: change man, court of appeal, director general, gender status, immigration checkpoints, kah, legislator, mykad, national identity card, national registration department, necessary legislation, new straits times, nrd, respondent, ridwan, sex change operation, sex change surgery, sexual organ, state of kedah, woh