Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: AamirJuly 11th, 2012 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 11 (IANS) Aamir Khan says aborting a child after sex determination is wrong and supports the Maharashtra government’s proposal to give severe punishment to those involved in such offences.
The state has sought the central government’s opinion for slapping a charge of homicide on cultprits of female foeticide.
Commenting upon the state’s decision, Aamir Wednesday told reporters: “I think female foeticide is a very serious issue. And if it continues the way it is, it will get worse. I am so happy that Maharashtra government is likely to propose this.”
He added: “I want to add here that abortion is legal and it should be. I am pro choice for women. But female foeticide, when we find out the sex and kill the girl child, should finish and very severe punishment should be given.”
According to 2011 Census, the rate at which the unborn female child is killed amounts to killing off 10,00,000 girls a year. As a result, the ratio between girls and boys has been affected. The 2011 census revealed that there were 914 girls for every 1,000 boys.
The maiden episode of Aamir Khan’s first television show “Satyamev Jayate” dealt with the sensitive topic of female foeticide and bias toward the male child.
Now the show is coming to an end and Aamir is content with the response to the show that has brought up other social issues such as dowry, malpractices in the medical profession and child sex abuse.
“I am happy that people are connecting emotionally with the show. My team and I like that we have reached people’s hearts and have churned ideas. There are so many things which are hidden and they need to be brought out in the public light. These things need to be discussed so that they can be dealt with,” he said.
The actor may return with the part two of “Satyamev Jayate”.
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- In 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir deals with female foeticide - and how! - May 06, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl child - May 11, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- Driving social change for women - via stardom - Sep 12, 2012
- Female foeticide short is to create awareness: Ajay Devgn (Interview) - Jul 08, 2012
- Gehlot promises Aamir war on foeticide (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' gutsy, sensible show: Viewers - May 06, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir - May 08, 2012
- Aamir strikes the right chord with 'Satyamev Jayate' (Roundup) - May 06, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, abortion, central government, child sex abuse, culprits, dowry, female foeticide, first television, girl child, girls and boys, homicide, maharashtra government, malpractices, medical profession, pro choice, sensitive topic, severe punishment, sex determination, social issues, television show