Serotonin may play role in autismFebruary 25th, 2011 - 3:13 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 25 (ANI): A new study has suggested that serotonin plays a vital role in autism spectrum disorders.
In labs at the UT Health Science Center San Antonio, scientists are studying strains of mice that inherently mimic the repetitive and socially impaired behaviors present in autism spectrum disorders.
Georgianna Gould, research assistant professor of physiology in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and colleagues have shown that a medication called buspirone improved the social behaviors of mice.
Some genetic variations result in diminished transmission of serotonin between neurons. Buspirone increased transmission by partially mimicking the effects of serotonin at cellular sites called receptors.
Social interaction behaviors of the mice were measured by placing them in a three-chamber social interaction test and positioning a ’stranger’ mouse in one of the chambers.
Buspirone-treated mice spent more time in the chamber with the stranger mouse than untreated mice and more time sniffing the stranger.
“No animal model is completely characteristic of humans, and we’re far from saying that buspirone is a treatment for behaviors of autistic people. But this does offer further proof that serotonin is involved in a significant proportion of autism cases,” said Gould.
The new findings appeared in the Journal of Neurochemistry. (ANI)
- Gene linked to severity of autism's social dysfunction identified - Apr 07, 2011
- TB drug could improve social skills in autistic people - Dec 09, 2010
- How a gene mutation leads to autism - Dec 17, 2010
- Freedom to choose leisure activities benefits autistic people - Mar 02, 2011
- Diet linked to onset of mental illness - Dec 14, 2010
- Aspergers Is Propagating At The Rate Of 17% In USA - Oct 13, 2010
- New approach finds success in teaching autistic kids - Nov 20, 2010
- Genes determine a lot more than just our looks - Nov 08, 2010
- Prairie voles' social bonding offers hopes for new autism therapies - Apr 30, 2011
- New mouse model to probe how antidepressants work - Feb 19, 2011
- Autistic kids face bullying thrice over, says study - Mar 27, 2012
- Elevated levels of sodium blunt body's natural response to stress - Apr 06, 2011
- Awareness and empathy can embolden Autistic people (April 2 is World Autism Day) - Apr 01, 2012
- Spread awareness on autism: Experts (April 2 is World Autism Awareness Day) - Apr 02, 2010
- Premature infants more likely to suffer from autism - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: animal model, autism cases, autism spectrum disorders, biomedical sciences, buspirone, genetic variations, gould, graduate school, health science center, health science center san antonio, interaction behaviors, mice, physiology, receptors, research assistant professor, social behaviors, social interaction, strains, ut health science center, ut health science center san antonio