Serbia tops list of European nations with most refugees-*June 21st, 2010 - 9:22 am ICT by IANS
Belgrade, June 21 (IANS) Serbia, with over 86,000 refugees, has topped an “unfortunate list” of European countries with the highest refugee and internally-displaced population, a top Serbian official has said.
According to government statistics, Serbia currently has 86,000 refugees and 210,000 internally-displaced persons.
Serbia’s refugees crisis began almost two decades ago with the breakup of Yugoslavia in the early 1990s and was followed by a second wave of forced migration from Kosovo in 1999.
Sasa Jankovic, Serbia’s ombudsman, on the occasion of International Refugee Day Sunday said: “The time has finally come to turn words into action plans and deeds,” to bring to a close the protracted refugee issue in Serbia, Xinhua reported quoting the Tanjug news agency.
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Jovan Krkobabic said the International Refugee Day is the “right moment to remind the world of those who, in order to save their own lives, were forced to abandon their homes”.
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Serbians rally to show support to quake-hit Japanese - Apr 11, 2011
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Serbia trashes British reports on Olympics tickets sales - Jun 19, 2012
- Italy to invest 2 bn euros in Serbian energy projects - Oct 27, 2011
- Serbia to have world's largest solar park - May 09, 2012
- 500,000 fans to attend brass band fest in Serbia - Aug 09, 2011
- Serbian football fans sentenced to jail for 2009 murder of French national - Jan 26, 2011
- Spanish brand wins at Serbia beer fest - Aug 22, 2012
- Serbia confers top award to Djokovic - Feb 15, 2012
- Kuwait football coach out of coma - Sep 06, 2012
- Jolie on location hunt for directorial debut - Aug 23, 2010
- Indian group builds IT park in Serbia - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Yugoslavia's last PM is dead - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: breakup of yugoslavia, decades, deputy prime minister, early 1990s, government statistics, international refugee day, jovan, june 21, kosovo, list of european countries, migration, ombudsman, refugee issue, refugees, right moment, sasa, second wave, serbian official, tanjug news agency, xinhua