Seasonal flu vaccine ‘lowers first heart attack risk’September 21st, 2010 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 21 (ANI): A new study has found that the seasonal flu vaccine is associated with a 19pc reduction in the rate of first heart attack and early vaccination in the fall further increases the benefits.
As heart attacks increase significantly in winter when pneumonia and flu are prevalent, it has been suggested there may be a link between respiratory infections and heart attacks.
The study, by researchers from the United Kingdom, looked at 78 706 patients aged 40 years or older from 379 family practices in England and Wales.
Of the total, 16 012 had had a heart attack and 8472 of these patients had been vaccinated.
The researchers found that influenza vaccination within the past year was associated with a significantly reduced rate of heart attack.
However, pneumococcal vaccination showed no additional benefit.
Early vaccination for influenza (between September and mid-November) was associated with a higher (21pc) reduction in the rate of heart attacks compared with late vaccination, which was associated with a 12pc reduction.
“Our findings reinforce current recommendations for annual influenza vaccination of target groups, with a potential added benefit for prevention of acute myocardial infarction in those without established cardiovascular disease,” wrote Dr. Niroshan Siriwardena, University of Lincoln, United Kingdom with coauthors Stella Gwini and Carol Coupland.
“This benefit may lead to an increase in suboptimal rates of vaccination, particularly among younger patients,” he added.
Because people with risk factors for heart attacks were more likely to be vaccinated than those with no risk factors, the researchers adjusted for possible bias in the sample.
They conclude that if additional research shows a similar effect, it could lead to changes in the recommended indications for and timing of vaccinations.
The study was published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal). (ANI)
- Seasonal Flu Shot Lowers Heart Attack Risk Significantly - Oct 01, 2010
- Seasonal Flu Shot Lowers The Risk Of Heart Attack, Researchers Say - Oct 01, 2010
- Study: Seasonal flu shot lowers heart attack risk by 20% - Oct 01, 2010
- Flu shots ensure birth of healthy babies - Feb 22, 2012
- Exposure to low-dose radiation 'ups cancer risk' - Feb 08, 2011
- Second-hand smoke ups invasive meningococcal disease risk in kids - Dec 08, 2010
- India tops in childhood flu-linked pneumonia deaths - Nov 11, 2011
- Effective antibodies against flu strains identified - Aug 10, 2012
- Why H1N1 increased mortality in healthy kids? - Nov 07, 2011
- Pneumonia vaccine doesn't cut risk of heart attack, stroke in men - May 05, 2010
- Vaccinated mums have healthier newborns: Study - Dec 15, 2010
- Drug used to treat type 2 diabetes linked to heart problems - Mar 18, 2011
- Soon, nasal spray vaccines to curb flu - Apr 12, 2011
- Anti-tumor drug that also fights flu virus - Mar 01, 2011
- Kidney transplant patients with low physical activity 'likely to die early' - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,