Scotland’s 500-year-old ‘unflushed loo’ a goldmine for archaeologistsSeptember 14th, 2009 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
Edinburgh, September 14 (ANI): A 500 year old ancient drain in Scotland, which lay undisturbed until its discovery in 1990, is turning out to be a goldmine for archaeologists from the Glasgow University.
According to a report in Herald Scotland, the team of archaeologists, backed by volunteers from Renfrewshire Local History Forum, is carrying out a 12-day excavation of the drain.
An initial excavation revealed an arched corridor almost 6ft high, and uncovered pottery fragments and gaming pieces, a complete chamber pot, and other artefacts.
This month’s dig is the first subsequent excavation of the drain, which dates to at least the fifteenth century.
Archaeology professor Steven Driscoll, part of the Glasgow team, said the site was uniquely well preserved.
“What’s unusual is that it hasn’t been messed with. This is a loo that hasn’t been flushed for 500 years. We have a kind of sealed environment, containing artefacts like the earliest known piece of Scottish music, which we found scratched into pieces of slate,” he said.
“The monks here were part of an internationally connected order. They were using Paisley as a kind of communications centre - as we can see from these tags we’ve found, which were the binding of boxes being shipped to the continent,” he added.
“We’ll be finding out about the sorts of things that were growing in the gardens, and the things they were eating. So, it’s possible to reconstruct the lifesyle of the monks,” he further added.
Paisley Abbey was founded as a Cluniac priory in 1163, and became an abbey in 1245. (ANI)
- Westminster Abbey has a history that is 1,000 years old - Apr 28, 2011
- Woman jailed for life for killing baby son - Jan 12, 2012
- Play was a central element of people's lives - even 4,000 years ago - Feb 08, 2011
- Westminster Abbey adds another page to its history - Apr 29, 2011
- 2000-yr-old human skeleton unearthed at Gloucestershire Roman villa dig - Jul 06, 2010
- Westminster Abbey to get makeover in time for the royal wedding - Dec 05, 2010
- Archaeologists unearth 'birth certificate of Scotland' - Sep 10, 2010
- Rare Roman suit of armour discovered at South Wales dig - Sep 14, 2010
- Family of first UK swine flu fatality feels devastated - Jun 15, 2009
- Archaeologists unearth remains of 12th century abbey in UK - Sep 14, 2008
- Archbishop of Glasgow links MP's death to being gay - Jul 25, 2012
- Scientists excited about mammoth discovery in Iowa - Jun 07, 2012
- New ancient artefacts found at Moenjodaro - Feb 02, 2009
- Oldest American artefact unearthed dates back to 14,230 years - Nov 06, 2009
- Ship's hull discovered at New York's Ground Zero - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,