Scientists say that blindness can be simply cured by an injection in the eyeJuly 26th, 2012 - 8:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, July 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Scientists have recently discovered that there is a possibility for curing blindness. US scientists have discovered a chemical that can be injected in the eyes that can be used to cure blindness.
The scientists performed the experiment on blind mice and they injected them with certain chemicals that made them to recover their sight. The scientists are working to improve the injection so that it can be used on humans.
The scientists say that if the developments that they make are successful, the injection will be able to help those who are blind due to age and those who suffer from inherited blindness. The chemical is called AAQ and it is said to work on the retina. It is said to make the cells of the retina that are normally not sensitive to light to be sensitive.
Scientists say that the pupils of the mice reduced in size after the injection. This is an animal behavior that is shown when animals try to avoid light which means that the mice began to see. Professor Richard Kramer who is the one leading the study said that this method of restoring sight would be better than the current methods that are being used on blindness patients.
He said that this method is simple and safer. Another good thing about this method is that patients will be able to use it together with other forms of treatment. Scientists say that if this research is successful, it will be a great advancement in the medical world.
- Compound likely to regenerate vision in humans - Jul 26, 2012
- Algae genes could restore sight in blind - Apr 14, 2011
- New hope for restoring vision in the blind - Sep 22, 2010
- Night blindness cured in mice with special cells - Apr 19, 2012
- Scientists image tiny light-sensing cells in eye - Jun 09, 2011
- Potential cure for vision diseases that lead to terminal blindness found - Aug 05, 2010
- Now, a new eye jab that could cure blindness! - Apr 17, 2011
- Novel way to prevent blindness caused by retinitis pigmentosa - Jun 12, 2010
- Green-glowing cats are the new tool in AIDS research - Sep 12, 2011
- Single shot of gene therapy could make kids with congenital blindness see - Oct 25, 2009
- Drug-carrying microbot roams through eye - Mar 11, 2011
- Bionic eye can restore lost vision - Nov 03, 2010
- Astonishing bionic enables blind to see - Nov 22, 2011
- 'Bionic eye' to help the blind 'see' - Dec 21, 2010
- New prosthetic device offers to hope to the visually impaired - Nov 19, 2010