Scientists one step closer to fully sequencing the salmon genomeJune 15th, 2010 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 15 (ANI): Scientists are one step to fully sequencing the genome of the economically important, environmentally sensitive Atlantic salmon species.
Genome BC partnered with the Chilean Economic Development Agency, InnovaChile, Norwegian Research Council, Norwegian Fishery and Aquaculture Industry Research Fund to form the International Cooperation to Sequence the Atlantic Salmon Genome (the Cooperation).
Together they are well underway on a multi-million dollar, multi-phased project that will produce a genome sequence that identifies and maps all of the genes in the Atlantic salmon genome and can act as a reference/guide sequence for the genomes of other salmonids (e.g. Pacific salmon, rainbow trout and more distantly related fish such as smelt and pike.)
Phase one of the project was awarded to Beckman Coulter Genomics to produce a 4X coverage genome using paired-end, plasmid, fosmid and BAC Sanger sequences. It is expected that this phase will be complete in January, 2011.
The Cooperation is gearing up for phase two which will result in a high definition and well-annotated genome using primarily next generation sequencing technologies.
The Cooperation is seeking interested parties (publically or privately funded genome sequencing centres, or public/private partnerships) to undertake phase two. (ANI)
- Antibiotic resistance spreads rapidly between bacteria: Study - Apr 12, 2011
- Fifth phase of Bihar panchayat polls to take place tomorrow - May 02, 2011
- New 'PiggyBac' mutation tool to identify new cancer genes - Oct 15, 2010
- Fishes also feel the pain - Jan 16, 2010
- First humans out of Africa once shrank to 1,000: Study - Jul 19, 2011
- 'Copy-and-paste DNA' more common than previously believed - Jun 29, 2010
- Polling underway for third phase of Bihar Panchayat polls - Apr 27, 2011
- Climate change adversely impacts populations of trout, salmon - May 18, 2010
- 81 percent turnout in sixth phase of J-K panchayat polls - May 04, 2011
- Panchayat poll candidate raped, murdered - May 21, 2011
- Fast-growing GM fish approved by scientists - Sep 06, 2010
- Omar angry with 'Delhi' - Jun 14, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat candidate injured in firing - May 10, 2011
- First harmful algal bloom species genome sequenced - Feb 22, 2011
- China maps world's first goose genome sequence - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: atlantic salmon, beckman coulter, economic development agency, fishery, genome sequence, genomes, high definition, interested parties, international cooperation, norwegian research council, pacific salmon, phase one, phase two, public private partnerships, rainbow trout, reference guide, salmon, salmon species, salmonids, sanger