‘Satyameva Jayate’ inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticideMay 24th, 2012 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 24 (IANS) Aamir Khan’s highly acclaimed “Satyameva Jayate” has inspired a sarpanch in a Rajasthan village to register police cases against women and families who go for tests to detect and abort the girl child.
“Illegal sex determination is rampant in the Shekhawati region (Jhunjhunu, Churu and Sikar districts),” sarpanch Randheer Singh of Budania village told IANS.
The village, some 200 km from here, is home to some 5,000 people.
Randheer Singh said a six-member committee had been formed to keep a tab on pregnant women.
“After watching Aamir Khan’s TV show ‘Satyameva Jayate’ on female foeticide, I felt that awareness in Rajasthan is not enough,” he said.
“Checking female foeticide at the village level is necessary to save girl children.”
He said that auxiliary nurses and midwives know about almost every pregnant woman in villages.
“If a woman is found involved in illegal sex determination and abortion of a girl child, an FIR (First Information Report) will be filed against her with the police,” Singh said.
“If she is forced to abort by her in-laws, similar action will be taken against them also,” he said.
According to the 2011 census, Rajasthan has 883 girls in the 0-6 age group for every 1,000 boys. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909.
The Rajasthan government has taken several measures to end illegal sex determination tests. It has hiked the amount of money given to people who complain about errant ultrasound clinics.
Aamir Khan, in his programme telecast May 6 that drew record audiences countrywide, highlighted a sting operation done seven years ago by two journalists to expose growing female foeticide in Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl child - May 11, 2012
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- No villain in my show: Aamir - May 06, 2012
- In 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir deals with female foeticide - and how! - May 06, 2012
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Now, Maharashtra seeks Aamir's support for girl child - May 11, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' grows more popular than Aamir! - May 14, 2012
- Gehlot promises Aamir war on foeticide (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir - May 08, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, auxiliary nurses, child sex, churu, female foeticide, girl child, girl children, illegal sex, information report, madhya pradesh, member committee, midwives, rajasthan government, record audiences, s tv, sex determination, sex ratio, shekhawati region, sikar, sting operation