Sarabjit’s kin in Ajmer, seek his releaseApril 8th, 2012 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ajmer, April 8 (IANS) Seeking the release of Sarabjit Singh - the Indian who is on death row in Pakistan - his family members have arrived here ahead of Pakistani President Asif Ali Zadari’s visit to dargah of revered Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti on Sunday.
Sarbjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur and daughter Swandeep stood outside the dargah Sunday with a placard reading: “Dilon ko phir se jodh dijiye, Sarbabjit ko chod dijiye’ (Unite hearts again, release Sarabjit).
“I appeal to President Zardari to release my father as he is innocent,” Swapandeep told reporters.
The dargah draws people of all faiths from around the country and the world who believe that a wish made within the shrine would be granted.
Zardari landed in Delhi around noon. He is accompanied by son Bilawal Bhutto and a delegation that includes Interior Minister Rehman Malik and other officials.
After lunch with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Zardari will fly to Jaipur in a special aircraft from where he will leave for the dargah, most probably in a helicopter that will land at the Ghughara helipad near Ajmer.
“I have prayed at the dargah and hope my brother will be released. The blessings of Khawajaji bring president Zardari to Ajmer, I am hopeful I will also come with my brother here,” said Dalbir Kaur.
Sarabjit, who is languishing in Pakistan jails for over 19 years, has been convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives. He is currently lodged in Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore, facing the death sentence.
His family claims he crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in a drunken stupor in August 1990 and was arrested.
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Salman's initiative will help in Sarabjit release: Dalbir Kaur - Jul 02, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Will meet PM, Sonia, Rahul, says Sarabjit's sister - Jul 02, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: asif ali, bhutto, bomb blasts, chisti, death sentence, drunken stupor, facing the death, helipad, interior minister, jails, kaur, lahore, manmohan, manmohan singh, multan, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rehman malik, sufi saint, zardari